Discuss Mosaic onto kitchen unit in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jstrats

TF
Reaction score
Hello stars of the tiling world, hope everyone is well, been a while since i posted on here, need a bit of advice, hope someone can help, customer wants to tile kitchen units in mosaic (see pic attached) she wants to construct the unit out of ply, i have suggested sticking 4mm Marmox on top of this prior to tiling, how would you go about this?

Also she is having UFH and using the following method:
- We'll ensure the existing floor is absolutely level first (use self-levelling compound)

- Thin foil insulation
- Polypipe Overlay 18mm screed panel with pipes
- De-coupling layer - Dural DURABASE CI++ matting
- mosaic tiling on top

Anybody see any flaws? Do you think this method would be ok with thin white ceramic mosaic?

Muchos regards, Jamie.

kitchen unit mosaic.jpg

jstrats

TF
Reaction score
Actually i've already spotted an error, we can't put 4mm backerboard on ply as it would make the uprights at either end of the unit too wide.

Could we make the whole unit out of Marmox?

jstrats

TF
Reaction score
What would be the thickness you recommend? Customer wants a single mosaic tile running on front edges and tile is 25mm, do any of these boards come in that size?

L

lizzardtong

give them a ring as I couldnt find anything in data sheet. from the other hand. will you need decoupling membrane for mosaic?

W

White Room

For white glass mosaic you will need a white backing otherwise any dark material will change the colour.....

L

lizzardtong

yes but for normal tiles so the wont crack. but mosaic 2.5/2.5 it wouldn't. but wait for others more experienced members advice. as its only me thinking.

Reply to Mosaic onto kitchen unit in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks