Search the forum,

Discuss Moisture & Efflorescence Coming Through Grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Is there a possible risk with moisture being forced to the walls , or does the moisture tolerant package , let this migrate slower or push elsewhere . Have many natural floors that can't be sealed due to migrating moisture and need to be left fully breathable.
Hello there Bob,

I'm guessing it would drain off elsewhere, maybe s risk to the walls.....as long as it doesn't come up through the grout!....well I hope!....I'm basically going off ardex technical......are you saying you have layed stone floors that take in the moisture so can't ever be sealed......I,ve been looking this up and a lot of vinyl layers use 2 coats of liquid dpm by ardex then arditex na if there's a chance moisture will migrate to the surface.....so that could be an option.....what would do in this situation bob?....thanks

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I think you have a leak somewhere
Hi Gary,

Floors half up now back to the latex, no sign of any leaks & everything was bone dry when I installed the porcelain.too......I've left the floor for today so will go back tomorrow and see if surface of latex is still dry as it was when I left

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi, sorry, not a tiler ( although I seem to have the banner on here) restored many and specified many new floor that will require to breath or for clean ups and then maintained only , not sealed ( always older floors) . Impregnators are breathable to a degree, but on older floors with issues and no dpm we steer clear.

I am not experienced enough on this to comment on the install, sorry just concerned if there was moisture ,where it was going to end up

J

J Sid

I see there is a radiator where you a lifting tiles, that really needs to ruled out as a possible leak problem.
the pipe, if copper, could have not been lagged properly and the screed could be corroding it.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I see there is a radiator where you a lifting tiles, that really needs to ruled out as a possible leak problem.
the pipe, if copper, could have not been lagged properly and the screed could be corroding it.

Good point there Julian,

Client did say they had a plumber check the rad out & all was fine but is it!......think I'll have a look at that tomorrow as I'll be lifting more tiles right underneath the rad in the morning.......
Hi, sorry, not a tiler ( although I seem to have the banner on here) restored many and specified many new floor that will require to breath or for clean ups and then maintained only , not sealed ( always older floors) . Impregnators are breathable to a degree, but on older floors with issues and no dpm we steer clear.

I am not experienced enough on this to comment on the install, sorry just concerned if there was moisture ,where it was going to end up

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Totall

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Totally see where your coming from there Bob.....where that moisture could end up I have no idea :grimacing:.......I've never had an install where grout is becoming wet !......I'm genuinely lost with this one!.......

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Could the old quarries have been used as a rudimentary DPM? So by lifting some and then patching this has allowed passage of moisture from below. If you're back to leveller I'd be going with an epoxy DPM. Ultra do a two pack, colour coded, then Prime it N then your good to tile. Should only raise the level by a couple of mm.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've just done a similar thing with a vinyl wet room. The original floor was laid about 18 months ago (Not by me)
The latex had blown under it and after ripping up the vinyl I found it to be really damp. The bungalow it's in was originally a doctors surgery any there are terrazzo tiles fixed throughout with no DPM. I used Ardex NA, then Ardex DPM1C, NA over the top then fitted new vinyl. I've used their liquid DPM a few times and never had any problems after.

J

J Sid

Hi Julian,

All the rooms off the hallway are old wood flooring & no work done before me, also had a plumber out to check the house for any leaks and no sign of that......I've started taking some of the floor up this morning and the surface was damp in places.......so back to the latex now and looks dry......pictures before, when tiles removed and then after adhesive removed as follows......

View attachment 81094 View attachment 81095 View attachment 81096
wood flooring onto timber joists or on the same screed?

Reply to Moisture & Efflorescence Coming Through Grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen