Search the forum,

Discuss Mapeii does not reccomend on Ditra ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concrete guy

so stiking porcs to ditra witch make up most floor tiles cant be guarenteed by dirta if i am understanding this right ?

I'm looking for a more clear Technical PDF to see if that's what's being suggested. Preferably a .co.uk one.

C

Concrete guy

Here is Schluters explanation of how Ditra works:-

Uncoupling Membranes - Uncoupling Theory Part 2 - Schlüter-Systems

Here's the UK spec sheet:-

Broken Link Removed

On page 5 of that document it states:-

6.Immediately after the Schlüter®-DITRA 25
matting is installed, the tiles can be set
using the thin-bed method and using a
bonding tile adhesive that matches the
requirements of the covering.

So it doesn't state if polymer modified is or isn't an issue.

It's interesting how there seem to be different specs between UK and USA as Peter mentioned earlier.

It would be very interesting to hear Schluters clarification of this - it used to be big no no (polymer modified) when I fitted Ditra, but things change.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Here is Schluters explanation of how Ditra works:-

Uncoupling Membranes - Uncoupling Theory Part 2 - Schlüter-Systems

Here's the UK spec sheet:-

Broken Link Removed

On page 5 of that document it states:-

6.Immediately after the Schlüter®-DITRA 25
matting is installed, the tiles can be set
using the thin-bed method and using a
bonding tile adhesive that matches the
requirements of the covering.

So it doesn't state if polymer modified is or isn't an issue.

It's interesting how there seem to be different specs between UK and USA as Peter mentioned earlier.

It would be very interesting to hear Schluters clarification of this - it used to be big no no (polymer modified) when I fitted Ditra, but things change.
its a shame they change at our cost usaly untill the real answers are found by us through trail and error

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would not think either adhesive is the best choice on anhydrite screed personally

B

bugs183

As ATS says Ditra has been used to overcome many things it wasn't designed for, but if used correctly it is a fantastic product, we've been using it for over 20 years (started when it was ribbed), and i've never had a failure.
Schluter have always said unmodified in the spec sheet, but how can that effect the uncoupling characteristics of Ditra? I'm no rocket scientist but that makes no sense. When it was introduced we were told that could could fix the Ditra to any substrate with a ready mix adhesive! So things have changed there!!!
So in Mapei's world if you can't use modified on top of Ditra then you can't fix porcelain, or some stone.
Bonkers.

C

Concrete guy

Schluter have always said unmodified in the spec sheet, but how can that effect the uncoupling characteristics of Ditra? I'm no rocket scientist but that makes no sense.

The explanation provided by Schluter (at the time) was that the extra polymers in modified adhesive "tack" the adhesive to the Ditra and reduce or negate the uncoupling mechanism.

I saw failure after failure with this product back in the day, I saw so many I never used it again. Since this time though the specs and design of the product seem to have changed.

I read a lot on this (and other) forums about people using this product in all sorts of situations in which it appears not to really be necessary. Quite honestly it looks like it's become the emperors new clothes.

I

ian158

When i purchased ditra from a tile shop they said stick it down with adhesive you use for sticking carpet or vinyl floors.

D

DHTiling

Schluter UK and Schluter USA give quite different advice which is odd. Modified in the UK and unmodified in America if I recall correctly.

That is correct .. i had an email from Schluter uk stating that fact... use what suits the tile and substrate.

B

bugs183

The explanation provided by Schluter (at the time) was that the extra polymers in modified adhesive "tack" the adhesive to the Ditra and reduce or negate the uncoupling mechanism.

I saw failure after failure with this product back in the day, I saw so many I never used it again. Since this time though the specs and design of the product seem to have changed.

I read a lot on this (and other) forums about people using this product in all sorts of situations in which it appears not to really be necessary. Quite honestly it looks like it's become the emperors new clothes.

Go to be honest here ATS i have to disagree with you here. I know that using Ditra has made my jobs more reliable. I've never had a failure whilst tiling onto wood using it, yet virtually every week you see posts where a job that has been tiled to wood directly has failed, ok i never tile to poorly supported wood floors etc, but i've seen enough solid floor fails without uncoupling.
Not sure which jobs you saw all these failures on, so i can't comment on them, but to say that it being a case of emperors new clothes is in my opinion not correct.
Yep it won't replace properly prepared screeds, but it does help i many situations, especially uncoupling underfloor heated screeds.

Reply to Mapeii does not reccomend on Ditra ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen