Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss loose wire UFH... in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've got a job coming up where the customers electrician is fitting a loose wire system, he's using a tape under the wire which he says is as good as insulation boards, not to sure about that, but my biggest concern is will I be able to level over it and tile it without the fear of a failure due to this tape method he's using, anyone ever seen this before??

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I've got a job coming up where the customers electrician is fitting a loose wire system, he's using a tape under the wire which he says is as good as insulation boards, not to sure about that, but my biggest concern is will I be able to level over it and tile it without the fear of a failure due to this tape method he's using, anyone ever seen this before??
What type of tape is it? We recommend to use a fireglass mesh tape with our insulation boards.

D

Dumbo

If it does insulate it's only going to insulated under the tape . So where ever their isn't tape you are going to get cold bridging between slab and tiles . As for the tape to latex over it's got to be super sticky as there is next to no contact area .

OP
Andy Allen

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What type of tape is it? We recommend to use a fireglass mesh tape with our insulation boards.
it's the tape underneath the wire I'm concerned about, he says it some kind of insulation tape, to take the place of insulation boards, have you ever heard of such a thing??
[automerge]1572011730[/automerge]
The electrician sounds like an idiot
I have to agree there, but this is what happens when a customer doesn't want to fork out on insulation boards, and talks to Mr know it all electrician...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Totally sounds like a blag. It's so the electrician can be in and out in half a day and still charge 250 labour lol

I've just fell out with one on sparky forum who was trying to put off a DIY from asking about running a cable to a shower. In the end it turned out he was worried about losing money. He said he's on 500 a day.

J

J Sid

You can, or used to get a primer which acted as a installater. Never heard of a tape.
Can he send you a link to it Andy?

Reaction score
Have fitted a fair few heat mats and wires over the years have used that primer once in the past (looked like something you would drink to settle a stomach ulcer!) Was a waste of time. Cant see any liquid insulating primer being effective as the final coat will only be a fraction of a millimetre thin. Don't believe the electrician on the insulating tape being used under the wire either. Even if it did stop heat loss under the wire the remaining areas would still loose heat. Only proven and tested method is the insulated tile backer boards.

D

Dumbo

Have fitted a fair few heat mats and wires over the years have used that primer once in the past (looked like something you would drink to settle a stomach ulcer!) Was a waste of time. Cant see any liquid insulating primer being effective as the final coat will only be a fraction of a millimetre thin. Don't believe the electrician on the insulating tape being used under the wire either. Even if it did stop heat loss under the wire the remaining areas would still loose heat. Only proven and tested method is the insulated tile backer boards.
I agree, as I said earlier it will not stop cold bridging in areas that don't have tape.
Anyway I always thought electricians insulation tape was to insulate against electricity, are you sure he's an electrician

OP
Andy Allen

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've tried telling the customer all this, but at the end of the day that's all we can do, if he wants to go down the electricians route then that's up to him, all I'm interested in is whether or not it's suitable to tile too.

J

J Sid

Andy, until you know exactly what he is proposing to put down you can't ask your https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ supplier if they do a product suitable to fix to it. They well do but it may cost an arm and a leg

Reply to loose wire UFH... in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock