Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Lining up backer board, tiles, and door frame in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Djohnst

Just about to take on my first attempt at tiling and do my bathroom. The walls are in a pretty poor state under the old tiles so planning to use Marmox backing board fixed to solid wall to give me the best chance of an even finish without the need to get a plasterer and wait for the plaster to dry given this is our main bathroom.

Have spent some time planning and setting out and one thing which strikes me is that using backing board will take the level of the tiles over the height of the door frame. The depth from the underlying wall to the top of the door frame is about 16mm so by the time I've used 12.5mm Marmox, and tiled on top of it I'm going to be above the door frame.

Have i missed a vital trick here, or can anyone offer any recommendations for making this look right at the line where the tiles meet the door frame?

Thanks

David

S

SJPurdy

Providing that the hinges will still work you can add a strip of wood to the door linings to bring them out to the thickness of the tiled wall and then fix architrave in the normal way.

R

RDTiling

Hi David.

If I am reading your problem correctly, I'd personally remove the door frame facings and run your marmox boards to the edge of the door.

In place of the door frame, you could use a metal trim and simply tile up to the trim. It looks really good when finished.

D

Djohnst

Thanks for the reply guys. Have a question about whether I actually need to board or if the walls can be saved but will post that under it's own thread to make it more visible.

Reply to Lining up backer board, tiles, and door frame in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks