Search the forum,

Discuss Lining up backer board, tiles, and door frame in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Djohnst

Just about to take on my first attempt at tiling and do my bathroom. The walls are in a pretty poor state under the old tiles so planning to use Marmox backing board fixed to solid wall to give me the best chance of an even finish without the need to get a plasterer and wait for the plaster to dry given this is our main bathroom.

Have spent some time planning and setting out and one thing which strikes me is that using backing board will take the level of the tiles over the height of the door frame. The depth from the underlying wall to the top of the door frame is about 16mm so by the time I've used 12.5mm Marmox, and tiled on top of it I'm going to be above the door frame.

Have i missed a vital trick here, or can anyone offer any recommendations for making this look right at the line where the tiles meet the door frame?

Thanks

David

S

SJPurdy

Providing that the hinges will still work you can add a strip of wood to the door linings to bring them out to the thickness of the tiled wall and then fix architrave in the normal way.

R

RDTiling

Hi David.

If I am reading your problem correctly, I'd personally remove the door frame facings and run your marmox boards to the edge of the door.

In place of the door frame, you could use a metal trim and simply tile up to the trim. It looks really good when finished.

D

Djohnst

Thanks for the reply guys. Have a question about whether I actually need to board or if the walls can be saved but will post that under it's own thread to make it more visible.

Reply to Lining up backer board, tiles, and door frame in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen