Discuss Laying UFH over ply board? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Element

TF
Reaction score
First time with UFH, customer has existing chipboard floorboards but wants a ply board on top then electric ufh mat and tiles on top. Is this a good idea? Had conflicting advice from my local tile supplier over this issue... The ply is to be screwed down to the chipboard. If the UFH heats (and thus inevitably expands) the ply - even with flexi adhesive - would you expect a problem?
Thanks in advance....!

I

Ian

An insulation board/cement board would both be better options than the ply, insulation boards will help the heating system run more efficiently as well.

Element

TF
Reaction score
It's a heavy slate tile to be fixed... I feel it's a right move to lay the ply over the chipboard (to prevent the slight movement in the floor) but adding in an insulation board on top would raise it too high for the meeting of the adjacent room...

Last edited:
U

Uheat - Keith

Same as Bri.
Notes from our quotations always say: 'Onto a load bearing base the 6mm or 10mm insulation board will need an overall extra thickness of 8mm or 12mm: 6mm or 10mm board with 2mm powder flexible tile adhesive under the boards to fix.'
If you went onto Ply, 100w/m2 system is used.
If your had the cement insulation boards, you can then go up to a 160w/m2 or a 200w/m2 system.
Tiles, Stone, Slate etc is best with 160w/m2 as a minimum.
Warm regards,

Element

TF
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice :)

I haven't been in here for ages - used to last yr but then work virtually dried up, picking up a bit now so no doubt I'll be back in with more questions :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Laying UFH over ply board? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay