Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

dboden

TF
Reaction score
People normally ring a tiler after they have had their kitchen fitted. I am doing my own kitchen, and wondered wether to tile the floor while the kitchen is completely empty, so to tile upto the walls all round then fit units on top? Is it a waste of money to do this?
Feedback please from people that have done this. Pro's/cons

Thanks Dave

T

Turkish

Haven`t done it mate but the pros are you`ll have less fiddly cuts, everything will be on one level, the cons i guess are damage could be caused to the tiles whilst fitting the kitchen and you are paying for tiles you won`t see under the units.

Turkish

T

theyomper

I do a fair amount of kitchen fitting and prefer to do the floor tiling last. Firstly it's a waste of money tiling something that you don't see, secondly it saves doing any damage to the floor whilst installing the kitchen. I would cut upto the unit legs and then cut the plinths and finally clear silicone aroumd the perimeter.

F

Fekin

If I had the choice I'd always tile the floor first with an empty room, then have the kitchen fitted.

S

Spud

pretty much every where else in europe fully tile their floors then put their kitchen units in ,they see floors as a permanent fixture and the kitchen cupboards as something that will be replaced and changed every few years the life expectancy of a well tiled floor with domestic traffic is 20years plus, layouts of kitchen units can be changed and altered without changing the floor if you tile the whole area so its not a waste of money imo

P

Perry

I would also agree especially if you have a stone or terracotta floor if you ever want to change anything in the future, just for the sake of a few meters

twinlog

TF
Reaction score
I tile all the floor but explain the pros and cons. Yes it is pure choice at the end of the day but looks better with a clean finish and no silicone, plus if the plinths have to come off ye have to remove the sticky stuff which will damage the veneer if its wet!
Also which (Garythetiler mentioned) is you can move bits around etc, which will happen.

Reply to Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I’m about to remove and replace in same place my bathroom and fittings. I am planning on tiling...
Replies
Views
We are currently re-doing our bathroom. Everything has been stripped back. Property is a 1930's...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen