Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Is tanking required with a domestic shower? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

quackfly

hey guys, just as the title says, is it necessary to tank every shower you do, even standard domestic showers or is priming then using waterproof addy and grout sufficient?

O

Olz

You'll find mate that waterproof addy and grouts are actually water resistant bit of a naughty use of words but what actully happens is the adhesive and grout wont break down upon contact with water, but WILL allow water to pass through them, think of it like a watering can head, which is made of plastic so wont break down when filled with water, but is full of little holes that allow the water to pass through it.

The water will pass through and rot away the substrate underneath (unless that is water proof), which is why tanking is neccessary as it protects what ever is underneath the tiles and adhesive.

Hardibacker is not waterproofing either, it just doesnt rot when it gets wet, but wont act as a water barrier.

R

Rob Z

Hi Q,

We've done hundreds of waterprrofed installations and not one of them has come back to bite us. I think it is cheap insurance and won't consider doing a shower or tub surround without waterproofing it first.

It might work without, but it might also have problems....problems I would like to avoid.:thumbsup:

C

CJ CERAMICS

tanking shower areas is neccessary at all times in my opinion. getting the customer to understand and pay for it is in itself a different matter.

W

windy

its good practise to,mentioning it could help you stand out from the cowboys..but as cj said getting customer to understand can be a issue as they think all your doing is trying to make more money as no one else has mentioned it.

T

Time's Ran Out

Quackfly - As per the other posts I believe that it is neccessary.
IMO the majority of problems with showers and water is either around the controls or at the tray.
This water ingress damages the subsrate and thus the tiles become loose.
The gap at the shower tray is always a point of weakness and despite silicone the slightest movement in the tray often proves to be the problem. Always double seal behind and onto the tray/tile.
If you use the waterproof backing boards such as wedi or hardi the only tanking that is required is at the corners and around the controls/head.
The price of present day tanking systems means its often cost effective to include it in your estimates - even if its an itemised extra that gives the client the choice.
Full tanking is essential if considering a wet room situation.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

S

stoner

I always advise on tanking a shower area, but like you said customers don't always want to know. I use the homelux stuff nowadays from Topps and it's simple to use and cheap at £45 for 5m2.

I did a shower tray and recommended this to the customer and a tile shop in Chesterfield then told customer it was'nt necessary, lol. Can't win!!:mad2:

D

doug boardley

I always advise on tanking a shower area, but like you said customers don't always want to know. I use the homelux stuff nowadays from Topps and it's simple to use and cheap at £45 for 5m2.

I did a shower tray and recommended this to the customer and a tile shop in Chesterfield then told customer it was'nt necessary, lol. Can't win!!:mad2:
this is a battle, also site agents with the "we've never done it before, and always used pva" Shop assistants get up my nose when they give out this sort of duff info:mad2:

R

Rob Z

Re: Is tanking required with a domestic shower?....and "Wat

Same thing here...I've had the customer already to pay for mud work, waterproofing, and epoxy grout...only to have the nitwit in the showroom tell them "Ohhh, no one does mudwork...cement board is more than enough".....and "No need for epoxy grout, just use a sealer"...and "waterproofing really is just an upgrade that you don't really need unless it's a high use shower like with 4 kids taking showers every day."

GGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!:incazzato:

F

faithhealer

Re: Is tanking required with a domestic shower?....and "Wat

Same thing here...I've had the customer already to pay for mud work, waterproofing, and epoxy grout...only to have the nitwit in the showroom tell them "Ohhh, no one does mudwork...cement board is more than enough".....and "No need for epoxy grout, just use a sealer"...and "waterproofing really is just an upgrade that you don't really need unless it's a high use shower like with 4 kids taking showers every day."

GGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!:incazzato:
Mudwork translation Rob?

Reply to Is tanking required with a domestic shower? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks