Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss is it possible to lay 60x60 calibrated slate outside on top of existing ceramic tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,
relatively new to the game and customer has asked me to tile his existing patio area with slate he has purchased 87m worth, along with another 120m indoor over same ceramic tiles.
the slate is 10mm thick. 60x60. Quite a lot to make a hash of.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Re: is it possible to lay 60x60 calibrated slate outside on top of existing ceramic t

hi paul,assuming his patio is slabs?

J

jay

Re: is it possible to lay 60x60 calibrated slate outside on top of existing ceramic t

I wouldnt

D

DHTiling

IMO it is too much for someone new to the tiling game..

There is a lot to consider on areas like that and with larger format stone..

More info on the substrate external and internal is needed and not on top of existing tiles imo either.

W

White Room

If the exterior slabs move/sink/shift your slate will move with it...is he also asking you to put slate on existing ceramic tiles...

R

Rich

A lot that can go wrong here. As for outside, I would recommend passing it on to a paving firm and regarding inside, I wouldn't tile over tiles.

A

AMtek

i would say it is probably too much for someone new to the game, laying stone is much more involved than ceramics. The existing tiles need to come up first. Have you seen the slate yet?

Reaction score

First thank you for your responses to answer the questions so far,:
all slate is calibrated 60x60, 60x40, 40x40 looks decent quality.
all to go down over existing ceramic tiles (not slabs) set inside and out approx 30x30 appear sound.
substrate concrete?
does sound like a lot more work than previously thought.
Cheers again.
Paul

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score

I would have to agree with the rest, take the existing tiles up, never good practice to fix tile on tile, you never truly know how well they're fixed.

Reply to is it possible to lay 60x60 calibrated slate outside on top of existing ceramic tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks