Search the forum,

Discuss Info needed wooden floor opinions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dayglowfroggy

In my training I was always told to use min 15 mm ply on top of floorboards or to remove the floor boards and put it straight onto the joists .
However I have never used this I have always used no more ply at 6mm and benfoflex with no problems except it can take an extra day to get it down first.
I have a friend who uses 6mm ply with benforflex he says without problems not sure if I believe it.
I have another friend who only ever uses the bal two part rubber compound stuff straight onto floor boards unless they are very bad and then he does use some thin ply.
This would be much faster but not sure if I can trust just one opinion on this before giving it a go so anybody else used this and trust this .

P

Paul Linley

Hi there.. you would be ok to use Bal Fast Flex staight on to your floorboards or alternatively you could use Hardi backer board 6mm, using a thin bed of adhesive between the backer board and floor board and screwing them down at 200mm/8" intervals. I hope this helps

D

dayglowfroggy

Thanks for reply .
Surly if I did use backer board there is no point in then using Bal Fast Flex because of the cost .
Is there more likely to be problems with cracking grout etc .

F

Fekin

I find that securing down floorboards with extra screws, 6mm backerboards ontop with flexi adhesive, then useing rapid set flexi for the tiles work just fine.

P

Paul Linley

No there would be no need to use fast flex, just use a flexy adhesive to bond the board to the floorboards and screw down as i said before, then use a flexi grout.. you shouldn't have no problems this way:thumbsup:

D

dayglowfroggy

Thanks for reply I always find floor tiling a stressful experience just done my best ever 19 sq m 600 x 300 brick and tile pattern with 2mm spacers( not doing that again).
That was a large kitchen dinner with half wood half concrete floor , I used no more ply on the lot to get it flat.
Took an extra 4 days so not allot of money made for a top job unfortunately.

T

tiler burden

i know there are adhesives for floorboards etc but i prefer to rely on the structure being sound rather than reliying on the all singing and dancing new formulated adhesives. fekins method is sound and reliable imo.

D

dayglowfroggy

I think that I would agree with that .
I was just hoping there was a faster way but I am not prepared to take chances don't want have to go back on a job especially when they are expensive tiles.

G

grumpygrouter

Hi there.. you would be ok to use Bal Fast Flex staight on to your floorboards or alternatively you could use Hardi backer board 6mm, using a thin bed of adhesive between the backer board and floor board and screwing them down at 200mm/8" intervals. I hope this helps
6mm hardiebacker does not add strength to the floor. It is only viable if the floor is solid in the first place and this is stated in the Hardie literature.

There is much written in the forums regarding this subject and it is worth doing a search through the forums to read and analyse te views.

My own view is that if the floor is solid it is fine to use the likes of Fasflex or Ardex-flex 7001. If the floor is not solid, then it should be overboarded in accordance with British Standards, i.e minimum 15mm wbp ply.

It has been stated in these forums that No More Ply correctly laid with the correct adhesive adds sufficient strength to a floor but as yet we have seen no technical data to back this up.

D

dayglowfroggy

"It has been stated in these forums that No More Ply correctly laid with the correct adhesive adds sufficient strength to a floor but as yet we have seen no technical data to back this up."
I have used it allot and it does make things very solid but you do have to follow the instructions to the letter especially the bit about wearing gloves when using the super strength polyurethane adhesive that stuff is evil takes weeks to get off and even then it's your skin that takes it away.I am sure it is Gorilla glue in a different package.
Also the no more ply screws are worth using as they self tap much better than cheaper alternatives from screwfix etc.
But it's not cheap and it takes time that what this thread is about finding a faster reliable way.

Reply to Info needed wooden floor opinions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen