Discuss How to cut porcelain in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I will be tiling the girlfriend's bathroom floor with 8mm porcelain textured tiles. Sub floor is solid, secure and covered with hardie backer board.

Tile pattern is established with 3mm spacing.

I am looking for some advice on the best method of cutting the tiles. I have one of the budget B&Q own brand electric tile cutters which did the whole of my bathroom in travertine and marble. I remember having to cut the travertine upside down as when getting to the end of the cut they occasionally chipped a little on exit, which when turned over wasn't visible.

I have read that porcelain is tougher though and quickly dulls the blades. I did the whole of my bathroom on the original blade without noticing any reduced performance.

I haven't got the luxury of having spare tiles to have a practice on unfortunately, due to buying a cheap end of line job lot.

My questions are :

1. Is my budget electric wet tile cutter up to the job? Should I buy a new blade? What's the best way of keeping the blade sharp?

2. Lots of threads here advocate using an angle grinder. Again I have a budget B&q angle grinder that I could use (I will just add that I have a large collection of Makita 18v and Bosch 12v tools, so I don't just buy the budget tools! I'm also quite prepared to upgrade my angle grinder to a better one if need be). Is an angle grinder the way to go and if so any recommendations for blades? Also, how do you get straight cuts? Steady hand or is there another method or guide you can purchase?

3. Should I hire a manual tile cutter? Do these work ok for a textured tile?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Daz

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if you already have a grinder just buy a turbo X porcelain blade from ATS diamond tools there only about £13 and eats through porcelain. for cutting straight lines just free hand it, it's not as hard as you think.

Reply to How to cut porcelain in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks