Search the forum,

Discuss help needed on porclin tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

you cant get no more ply that thick terry, there would cost £1,000,000 per board matey

:20::20:

:thumbsup:

ha ha !! ive just been on there website and iam well impressed with no more ply ! it looks like its the one 4 me ! iam gona over board the chip board with no more ply 6mm !! carnt wait to get started ! i might ring the customer up now and ask him if i can do it tonight !! ha ha ! thanks for the info everyone :thumbsup:

S

stevee

hey lads ,that no more ply does look good ,no 8x4 sheets, why would anyone bother with ply? please enlighten me in my quest for knowledge:thumbsup:,steve

D

Deleted member 1779

hey lads ,that no more ply does look good ,no 8x4 sheets, why would anyone bother with ply? please enlighten me in my quest for knowledge:thumbsup:,steve

Take a look at this Job.

8.jpg

In the picture above you can see the builder laid down a sheet of 9mm ply onto the existing floor joists then tiled on top.

This particular builder is trying to make the most money from the job, to do it quickly and wants to move on. Doing it this way saves him money as well as time and petrol.

B

brian c

Richard that looks as if the ply is laid on the floor boards m8.If he laid 9mm ply on the joists then this would not be strong enough as you would have deflection issues.If you mean he has plyed out on top of the floor boards then yes that is fine so long as the boards are fixed solid and the ply screwed at 250mm intervals and primed according to manufacturers spec then thats fine...this is what i do.:thumbsup:

L

LM Ceramics

as mentioned 6mm backer board or at least 12mm plywood but id go for the 6mm backer board would work out cheaper

S

smurf21

I dont know where you guys are getting your info from but a minimum of 15mm plywood is recommended for overboarding timber floors ,you cant get 15mm so the next best is 18mm( not 9mm or 12mm) or use a suitable tile backer board 6mm thick. :thumbsup:

2020Tiling

just been to c that porclin floor job i was on about , i was informed by the customer it was chipboard under the lino and it was in ok condition, so i took the lino up and its floor boards not chipboard and there not level so iam woried that if i fix 6mm no more ply it will end up all uneven ? it would be ideal to over board it with 18mm marine ply but 18mm ply on top of floor boards plus the thickness of porclin looks about 15mm plus addy would b to much of a bulid up for door! any advice ?

S

smurf21

just make sure the floorboards are screwed down well and go with the NMP any slight unevenness you find after you will be able to take out in your addy bed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to help needed on porclin tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen