Search the forum,

Discuss Half concrete half timber! need opinion on how to finish in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilelover

I have been asked to price for a job which is half concrete floor and half timber.

I was thinking of 2 options
1) 18mm ply over the timber floor and then use a latex leveller over the concrete floor to bring it up to same height as the ply. Using a expansion strip in tile work where the two floor meets for any movment that might happen there.

2) 18mm ply over the whole floor. Drill and plug what goes over the concrete floor.

Which one would be more stronger and will last for years to come.. The area in total is about 90sqm

D

David - Tradetiler

Ply will work. Ditra matting is a good option - OVER THE WHOLE FLOOR. Trouble is the cost as your area is 90 Sq M

Expansion strip at the intersection will work out cheaper. That said there could be too much movement for a normal expansion. Depends which way the joists run.

What is the total length of interface wood/solid?

Anyone else??

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Schlüter-Systems Ltd

Schlüter-Systems Ltd’s technical helpline would be more than happy to help you with this query. Contact Schlüter-Systems Ltd for immediate advice and information on 01530 813396, or alternatively, e-mail [email protected]. Lines are open Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 5pm.

S

Sully

Ditra would still need the expansion joint but on such a large floor - I'd be taking up Schluter's offer and making a phonecall - as Dave suggets, the movement may require something 'special'.

Andrew

A

Alberta Stone

CBU would probably be cheaper on the crete than self leveler and plywood on the wood with an expansion joint strip from schluter in between.

S

Spud

CBU would probably be cheaper on the crete than self leveler and plywood on the wood with an expansion joint strip from schluter in between.
cbu is still quite expensive over here it would be more cost effective to screed the over the concrete with a polymer enhanced sand and cement screed

D

David - Tradetiler

How about ripping the wood out - hadrcore/stone fill then concrete. (if the wood part is a smaller proportion)

Not as expensive as you might think

Reply to Half concrete half timber! need opinion on how to finish in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen