Discuss Grouting half height kitchen splashback in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to tile a new kitchen splashback using cube shape mosaic sheets and all going well, except I'm not sure how best to finish the grouting.

The splashback will not go to the ceiling and there are no wall cupboards.
IMG_20190831_201211.jpg

There's several examples of the same style on this site. Creative Tile Finishing Ideas with Organic Edging - https://mercurymosaics.com/blogs/news/creative-tile-finishing-ideas-with-organic-edging

I was thinking perhaps grout it as normal with a bit extra coming out the top and then using a Dremel round out each bit between the diamonds?.

Also should I run a line of grout along the top of each diamond?
Or silicone all the exposed edges?

I can't really find anything online about making these king of designs.

Thanks Matthew

J

Just Rizzle

i would leave as it is and if your painting above the tiles caulk it rather than silicone as you cant paint silicone what colour grout you going to use?

Reaction score
i would leave as it is and if your painting above the tiles caulk it rather than silicone as you cant paint silicone what colour grout you going to use?

Thanks for replying Ray

Will be using white grout. So I should go up to the top but not over the top tile.
What would be the best way to shape the grout that will be coming up between the two diamonds?

Yes we will be repainting on top

J

Just Rizzle

Thanks for replying Ray

Will be using white grout. So I should go up to the top but not over the top tile.
What would be the best way to shape the grout that will be coming up between the two diamonds?

Yes we will be repainting on top
there are a number of caulking tools look on screewfix or some times just your little finger will do the trick.

N

Neil Mcquillan

I’d have thought you should have cut your top tile in half to leave a straight edge, but if it’s on then it’s on, another fix could be to buy some trim ie an L bend and just fix it over the top, so that it gives the appearance that the top is straight. If you wanted it as is ie diamond, just grout the edge of each one or silicone / caulk right close to the tile and paint to leave a neat finish👍

Reply to Grouting half height kitchen splashback in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks