Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grout Or Sealant in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Phil164

Hi
I recently moved into a new house where the grout needed replacing around 1-2 tiles in the bathroom. I scraped out the old grout and put new grout on top. After about 2 months that new grout is now cracking. Since nothing else has cracked I assume it's not because of movement so could it be the mix I made was too runny? I used waterproof unibond grout for bathrooms.

Now my weekend will be taken up with scraping out this grout, maybe pretty easy given its cracked :) but I was thinking of using sealant to replace it- it's white and at least that won't crack.

Is this a good idea or how should I go about avoiding future cracks!

Thanks for your help
Phil

U

Unused Account 1

If the tiles is fixed properly ,grout again you only need smallest amount make it thickish and make sure to push it in the joint getting all the air out ,if it cracks again you know

P

p4ulo

Where is this grout?
If it is up against the bath edge, or in a corner against another wall, you should use sealant, because any movement can cause the grout to crack.
Don't use sealant as a general grout.....if you do don't say on here!!

M

Mr Tiler

Any internal corner needs to be sealed! If its on the wall nock up a thick mix and push it rite into the joints with the flexi version of your grout whatever it is, theres usually a flexi version... if tiles havnt fell off the wall whilst scraping at the joints then tiles should be sound.

P

Phil164

It's not up against a bath (there isn't one) or wall. It's on the floor and around the shower drain- which is on the floor, I've no separate tub.

I've no idea how the tiles were fixed initially because I only just moved in. But my fix I did a couple of months ago now looks worse than what I tried to fix in the first place.

But it sounds like I need a thick mix to prevent future cracking. I'll find a flex version of the showerproof grout too. I used unibond before and have read good stuff about mapei, so I guess either will be fine.

Thanks guys

P

Phil164

Sure, here are some pictures - Sunday morning is DIY morning :)
around the drain there was cracked grout so i removed the metal insert (held in place in the screw holes) then the grout came off easily. One of the close up pictures shows there appears to be some sort of membrane under the tiles but also some gaps, should i push some grout in there first to fill the gap? Should any of this 'tray' be sealed first?

The other pictures are of the other areas where there was cracked grout, should be straight forward to just push thick grout into.

Advice much appreciated!

Phil

2015-09-20 11.33.20.jpg 2015-09-20 11.33.08.jpg 2015-09-20 11.31.50.jpg 2015-09-20 11.22.25.jpg 2015-09-20 11.22.18.jpg 2015-09-20 11.22.11.jpg

B

bcd-87

Sure, here are some pictures - Sunday morning is DIY morning :)
around the drain there was cracked grout so i removed the metal insert (held in place in the screw holes) then the grout came off easily. One of the close up pictures shows there appears to be some sort of membrane under the tiles but also some gaps, should i push some grout in there first to fill the gap? Should any of this 'tray' be sealed first?

The other pictures are of the other areas where there was cracked grout, should be straight forward to just push thick grout into.

Advice much appreciated!

Phil

View attachment 76894 View attachment 76895 View attachment 76896 View attachment 76897 View attachment 76898 View attachment 76899

Get a tiler round Phil Looks like there may be some movement

O

Old Mod

Thanks, can u do couple to show the room pls and where things relate to each other.
Close ups are good tho

P

Phil164

here are two photos of the room. The shower has a slight decline towards the drain, starting from just before the glass window starts.

IMG_2340.jpg IMG_2339.jpg

Reply to Grout Or Sealant in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks