Search the forum,

Discuss grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

Sorry mate, just pulling your leg.
There are all kindsa ways people fix these boards, but the best way is prime the floor, trowel adhesive at 6mm press the boards into this and then screw down whilst wet. The floor will be lovely and solid then.
Sorry the joints a re cracking, but tiles don't like being laid direct to plywood, especially when its that thin.

J

jase158

also the problem is that the plywood is under a couple units

Aylesbury Vale-20120803-00062.jpg

J

jase158

could I pull tiles up, put cement board down and then tile on top?

or should I pull the 6mm ply up?

B

bugs183

Trouble is it's not a mistake you've made by being daft.
It's so widely done, everyone believes it's fine to go straight onto thin plywood, not all of these floors crack, so people still do it.
It's taken a while for people to actually rethink how to tile onto wooden floors.
So your not the only one!!

J

jase158

Trouble is it's not a mistake you've made by being daft.
It's so widely done, everyone believes it's fine to go straight onto thin plywood, not all of these floors crack, so people still do it.
It's taken a while for people to actually rethink how to tile onto wooden floors.
So your not the only one!!

cheers, thats made me feel a bit better about it, will learn for next time

M

Martino

Jase158 - possible failure could also be, not enough addative in the adhesive or grout also leave gaps between your ply, cement boards are more expensive so you cant use them on every job!...well not where i live anyway...you wouldnt get any work basically someone would be cheaper!....i have and still do use ply and belive you still can, a lot of people on here will dissagree with me but what did we use before backer/cement board?.....plywood. :)....i firmly belive if applied correctly it can still do the job!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Jase158 - possible failure could also be, not enough addative in the adhesive or grout also leave gaps between your ply, cement boards are more expensive so you cant use them on every job!...well not where i live anyway...you wouldnt get any work basically someone would be cheaper!....i have and still do use ply and belive you still can, a lot of people on here will dissagree with me but what did we use before backer/cement board?.....plywood. :)....i firmly belive if applied correctly it can still do the job!

Ply isn't the issue it's the thickness of ply used that's the problem!

Reply to grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen