Search the forum,

Discuss Glass Tiles Cracking - 200 x 100 x 3mm in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

msg2004

Hello

Been searching on the net and here. I think I have the answer but need to confirm

Had our kitchen fitted and finished about 2:5 months ago. The black tiles were a bit thin, but only ones I could get is 3mm.

The were fitted with square edged stainless steel trim. The tiler had to put thick layer of adhesive and finished in black grout.

We noted a couple of broke tiles and these were changed within the first week. Since then another 6 have cracked.

Question: Did the tiler use too thick amount of adhesive? Btw, the walls were skimmed a few dayys before the tiling.

The few they have re-done not broke yet.

i'm worried as more will break as read that many people find tiles crack for up to 7/8 months.

Please help to resolve ie what needs to be done.

Many thanks in advance

S

Spud

what size joint did the tile use, glass has a high coefficient of expansion so needs the correct sized joints and expansion gaps at the corners, are the cracked tiles above the hob?

Reaction score
glass has a high coefficient of expansion , spot on Gary mate !, i same happens with glass mosaic used in swimming pools outside that are exposed to the hot/cold weather /water of pool ...... you should use extra expansion joints with these materials IMHO .........

M

msg2004

do you know what adhesive was used, when you say thick layer of adhesive, how thick we talking about..

Hi

It was a German make from Topstiles if memory serves me well, and about 5mm and more in other areas but not certain

The wall was also skimmed a few days earlier

Thanks

M

msg2004

glass has a high coefficient of expansion , spot on Gary mate !, i same happens with glass mosaic used in swimming pools outside that are exposed to the hot/cold weather /water of pool ...... you should use extra expansion joints with these materials IMHO .........

Hi

thanks to all those that have tried to help

I'mnot sure what you mean by "expansion joints."

The tiles are only in 5 layers and about so about 500mm high, and in other places just one layer and some of thos have cracked as well.

thanks again

D

DHTiling

Hello

The tiles are all over the kitchen and none above the hob as yet.

OK, so not thermal shock from cooking heat..

Was a rapid setting cement based adhesive used... sometimes certain adhesives as they reach tensile strength can craze fully vitrified tiles or high glazed tiles.. are they resin backed or painted..

M

msg2004

OK, so not thermal shock from cooking heat..

Was a rapid setting cement based adhesive used... sometimes certain adhesives as they reach tensile strength can craze fully vitrified tiles or high glazed tiles.. are they resin backed or painted..

Hello Dave

Not sure re exact adhesive but will check with the tiler next week as he is coming arounf. The backs of the appear to be resin based.

M

msg2004

Hello Dave

Not sure re exact adhesive but will check with the tiler next week as he is coming arounf. The backs of the appear to be resin based.

hello
the bloke is supposed to be coming Wednesday - will ask re glue used.

Thick tile glue was used, tiles are 3mm thick. The wall was skimmed a few days before that and deepr plaster some areas, noted more tiles are cracking - turing out to be a disaster.

About replacing them - should we have it all taken down and tile with ordinaly black tiles?

Really fed up!!

Reply to Glass Tiles Cracking - 200 x 100 x 3mm in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen