Search the forum,

Discuss Floor prep.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

dboden

TF
Reaction score
I have a kitchen floor to do.. 26m
Half is floor boards (solid & sound)
half is concrete..
I was going to glue and screw 6mm hardie boards onto the boards, overlapping the concrete by 50-100mm, then make up the concrete depth with flexi SLC.. does this sound the best way?
Thanks in advance

J

J Sid

Needs an expansion joint at intersection of concrete and wood or very likely to get a crack form. You may be lucky and not have any problems but your method is not recommended

dboden

TF
Reaction score
Ok, good point, thankyou....
What about if I do the above, but with the addition of a metre or so of the anti fracture matting over the joining area!! Surely that will cover everything?

J

J Sid

If it was me, I would screw the boards down, don't screw into any pipes etc. prime, Ditra the boards if as good as you say or over board with hardie up to intersection of concrete, self level the concrete or Ditra, depending on condition of floor. Tile, with expansion joint, profile or colour match silicon over intersection of the two substrates.
Boarding across the joint, you may be lucky and get away with it if it was your own home, but for a customer, no, not the thing to do.

dboden

TF
Reaction score
It is brick bond so that messes with the expansion joint really..
What is you opinion on the anti fracture matting idea??.. Isn't this what its for?

J

J Sid

No that is no what its for.
Its for lateral movement, you will get lateral and vertical movement at the joint. The vertical movement will do the damage.
I have seen ply and cement boards crack when what you want to do is tried.
Can the bond be turn the other way?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I already know I'm going to be slated for this but this is how I tackle these floors and have covered it in other threads. You want to make sure the boards are solid, flat with no deflection. If this means lifting boards, adding noggins or even building piers then so be it. Ply the prepared boards overlapping the concrete by a good couple of feet. I screw this to the joists and the boards and glue it and screw it to the concrete. This means alot of drilling and alot of plugs! I then slc the concrete up to the height of the ply. On top of this I lay a decoupler over the whole floor. Unconventional, yes, costly, yes but I've even layed chipped edge trav with all its holes and veins successfully this way.

J

J Sid

Its a lot of work and expense to do away with the expansion joint. If one did fail, even if very unlikely, you have no comeback on any products used, leaving yourself open to a costly retile

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Fully aware of that mate. I also make my customers fully aware they're taking a risk. It is amazing what lengths people will go to, to avoid using expansion strips! I'll admit I offer no formal guarantee doing floors this way but most are willing to go with it. As my work is pretty much exclusively recommendations I think people know I'd correct any failures.

Reply to Floor prep.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen