Search the forum,

Discuss Floor prep for UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

samc

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of re-tiling my kitchen and am taking the opportunity to fit UFH. I've just started to rip up the old tiles and it's becomming apparent the surface I'll be left with won't be flat, with areas down to the concrete and areas with old tile adhesive left.

The height difference is probably a few mm at worst, is it advisable to use a SLC at this stage before i put my insulation boards down (20mm XPS)?

Many thanks for any replies!

B

bert&ernie

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of re-tiling my kitchen and am taking the opportunity to fit UFH. I've just started to rip up the old tiles and it's becomming apparent the surface I'll be left with won't be flat, with areas down to the concrete and areas with old tile adhesive left.

The height difference is probably a few mm at worst, is it advisable to use a SLC at this stage before i put my insulation boards down (20mm XPS)?

Hi Sam,

If the height variation is too much to build up with adhesive then yes use a SLC first. Mapei are good for their SLC and also adhesives. Have you given Uheat a call? They can sort you out a good price on your ufh and also insulation boards.

:thumbsup:

S

samc

Cheers for the reply burt&ernie, I reckon i'll be able to make up the variation with adhesive as you say.

I've already bought my mats and insulation but am yet to make a decision on the flexible adhesive. What would you recommend? Thanks.

D

DHTiling

Hi Guys,

Hell samc and welcome....

Try and remove as much adhesive as possible and if any deviations in the floor exceed + or - 3mm then use a levelling compound..

Mapei Ultra plan or Fibre plan or water ad only levellers and easy to use...and can be supplied by Tile giant or any other retailer who deals with mapei.

Mapei mapeker or keraquick is what i would use....

Quick question mate..why? 20mm insulation bords..

D

DHTiling

It's not if you can cope with the height increase.....the thicker the insulation the quicker the warm up within reason....

I tend to use 10mm and find that sufficent.:thumbsup:

what tiles are you using..?

D

DHTiling

Ok..then either adhesive will be suitable...if you are using a light coloured grout then use white adhesive....you can just use grey adhesive to stick the boards down with...the mapeker is flexible enough to cope with ufh but keraquick is alot more flexible...

When laying the insulation boards press down in the middle of the boards first to push air out or you will end with ahump in the middle and it will be a nightmare laying the tiles...

And GOOD LUCK...:thumbsup:

S

samc

Thanks for the tips Dave.

I might try and see if I can change the insul boards to 10mm as they aren't delivered until Sat. I'll go for the keraquick adhesive I think.

Reply to Floor prep for UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen