Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing timber "tile"?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bob345

Bit unusual one. I am trying to line the base of 4 chimney alcoves with timber panel prior to plastering. The end effect being a plastered alcove with a timber 'floor' protruding from the wall like a windowboard. My question is what to use to fix the timber panel down - the substrate is masonry, and not level, so the thickness of bed required will be between 5 - 25mm. If the bed didn't need to be so thick I would probably just gripfill down. Perhaps a tile adhesive would be the way, but would it bond to the timber? or should I just fix onto a sand/cement bed, and screw down when this has cured. The timber panel has been painted on all sides so any moisture doesn't affect it. Cheers for any help...

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I can't see it bonding to the timber without coming loose later down the line.

Sikabond t53 maybe something you could use.

Last edited:
B

bob345

Thanks for reply - will look this up. I see tile adhesives exist for fixing say stone tiles to a ply floor - but the reverse (ply tiles say to a stone floor) doesn't work? Is this because there is more movement in a timber tile compared to a timber substrate screwed down at 300mm centers. Just trying to understand. Thinking of bedding down plumb on cheap adhesive, then later putting screw fixings through into the masonry...?

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Well that's what had me unstuck thinking about it as you can tile onto ply etc but the reason I have that answer is there is something just not right about doing it that way.

I've used the sikabond below fixing a timber floor so know that it does the job. It's also less mess... No mixing... And the right stuff for the job.

C

Colour Republic

level the base with sand and rapid cement or even rapid set tile adhesive, then gripfill the timber to that a few days later. Add a few screws if you like

B

bob345

level the base with sand and rapid cement or even rapid set tile adhesive, then gripfill the timber to that a few days later. Add a few screws if you like

Thanks folks for all the replies. I think this is the best solution for me (thanks fellow Brighton person), although the Sika stuff is interesting if I was fixing a larger area - so thanks to all.

M

Mr Tiler

whats a masonry floor? if its concrete just bed it into a sand/cement mix then fix down once its all set depending on what width timber being used you may need some long screws

Reply to Fixing timber "tile"?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, Has anyone had any experience with this product and what was you opinion on it? I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen