Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Do what works.
Listen to advice and debate.
Cut through the commercial politics.
Use your own common sense.

S

Ste450

Your in cuckoo land!

Its "you're" in cuckoo land by the way...

Mate, the proof is in the pudding, 13 years and no problems, how do you work that one out? If I was doing something wrong, then I'd have comebacks wouldn't you say?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Ste450

@Ste450 it's proper procedure to correctly prepare your substrates to ensure amongst other things they are flat,true and plumb before tiling so they are within acceptable limits and also within the limits of adhesive depth capabilities etc. You may 'get away' with it at times but that is a non professional attitude and especially wrong if your charging people for a service.
No offence intended merely a bit of advice, but go read up about it or maybe go on a course!
Don't get angry, learn and improve!

Well I must have been "getting away with it" for 13 years then eh? Never had any combacks with regards to tiles cracking, coming loose or grout cracking because of an insufficient bed of adhesive. The 2 mentioned were because of cheap crap Chinese ply.
So would you suggest to a customer that all the solid walls in a bathroom need dry lining and all the stud walls need altering because they're all just over an 1/8 inch out of plumb, let's say? Of course not, you can get over it with adding more adhesive to the bed, saving them hundreds of pounds!
None of you have actually seen my work and you'd be gobsmacked if you did! I'll upload some pictures tomorrow for you all...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Ste450

By the same token, spot fixing his way may well work. As was also suggested wayyyyyyy earlier in the thread.

I don't have a problem with BS but BS don't encapsulate all building conditions that we have to, especially with the majority of foreign tiles and adhesives that we are now using.

Can BS honestly say that they test all adhesives with all foreign tiles? Of course they can't. So, they just use a standard to TRY and get manufacturers to make something that sticks to certain tiles' back/substrate and then they will be happy but this doesn't mean it will work for ALL tiles/substrates.

Probably why BS is not the Law but only a recommendation of practice.
By the same token, spot fixing his way may well work. As was also suggested wayyyyyyy earlier in the thread.

I don't have a problem with BS but BS don't encapsulate all building conditions that we have to, especially with the majority of foreign tiles and adhesives that we are now using.

Can BS honestly say that they test all adhesives with all foreign tiles? Of course they can't. So, they just use a standard to TRY and get manufacturers to make something that sticks to certain tiles' back/substrate and then they will be happy but this doesn't mean it will work for ALL tiles/substrates.

Probably why BS is not the Law but only a recommendation of practice.

That's it, people have to cover their arses. When I spot tile, I'm not talking a measly few little spots, we're talking a substantial amount of adhesive so when you push the tile onto the wall, the adhesive spreads out creating a 85-90%-100% solid bed and you scrape away the excess that oozes out. It makes it easier to manipulate the tile so you get all joints perfectly flush. We tiled the floor in a local showroom 6 years ago that had to be spot tiled, its had 1000's of high heels walked all over it, its had things drop on it and step ladders and benches all over it and it's absolutely spot on! As long as you use high quality adhesives and use enough of it, you can't go far wrong :)

O

Old Mod

So it seems to me the main cause of this discussion is nothing more than either, misinterpretation of the term 'Dotting and Dabbing' or regional dialect perhaps.
If your technique @Ste450 is to use enough adhesive to ensure a solid bed, then it wouldn't really be classed as 'Dotting and Dabbing'.
When that term is used on this forum, members immediately get an image in their head like this...
IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8014.JPG IMG_8015.JPG

Well that's not the technique you describe is it?
and the trouble is, because of individual interpretations, that's what the majority of members imagine it to be.
Seems to me that this debate was nothing more than miscommunication, but it's good to talk, it clears the air! :)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It must take for ever tiling that way..
Rather than combing the wall..or floor.
How many m2 can you do a day ?..-..and be honest...:)
And do you not run the risk of exceeding the manufacturer recommended thickness for the adhesive?-

L

LM

So it seems to me the main cause of this discussion is nothing more than either, misinterpretation of the term 'Dotting and Dabbing' or regional dialect perhaps.
If your technique @Ste450 is to use enough adhesive to ensure a solid bed, then it wouldn't really be classed as 'Dotting and Dabbing'.
When that term is used on this forum, members immediately get an image in their head like this...
View attachment 87266 View attachment 87267 View attachment 87268

Well that's not the technique you describe is it?
and the trouble is, because of individual interpretations, that's what the majority of members imagine it to be.
Seems to me that this debate was nothing more than miscommunication, but it's good to talk, it clears the air! :)
Well said Marc, that's more along the lines of the way I picked it up.

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen