Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

So it seems to me the main cause of this discussion is nothing more than either, misinterpretation of the term 'Dotting and Dabbing' or regional dialect perhaps.
If your technique @Ste450 is to use enough adhesive to ensure a solid bed, then it wouldn't really be classed as 'Dotting and Dabbing'.
When that term is used on this forum, members immediately get an image in their head like this...
IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8014.JPG IMG_8015.JPG

Well that's not the technique you describe is it?
and the trouble is, because of individual interpretations, that's what the majority of members imagine it to be.
Seems to me that this debate was nothing more than miscommunication, but it's good to talk, it clears the air! :)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It must take for ever tiling that way..
Rather than combing the wall..or floor.
How many m2 can you do a day ?..-..and be honest...:)
And do you not run the risk of exceeding the manufacturer recommended thickness for the adhesive?-

L

LM

So it seems to me the main cause of this discussion is nothing more than either, misinterpretation of the term 'Dotting and Dabbing' or regional dialect perhaps.
If your technique @Ste450 is to use enough adhesive to ensure a solid bed, then it wouldn't really be classed as 'Dotting and Dabbing'.
When that term is used on this forum, members immediately get an image in their head like this...
View attachment 87266 View attachment 87267 View attachment 87268

Well that's not the technique you describe is it?
and the trouble is, because of individual interpretations, that's what the majority of members imagine it to be.
Seems to me that this debate was nothing more than miscommunication, but it's good to talk, it clears the air! :)
Well said Marc, that's more along the lines of the way I picked it up.

S

Ste450

It must take for ever tiling that way..
Rather than combing the wall..or floor.
How many m2 can you do a day ?..-..and be honest...:)
And do you not run the risk of exceeding the manufacturer recommended thickness for the adhesive?-
e

I'll fit a standard fully tiled bathroom in two weeks and it takes about 4 days to tile and grout. I'll do the whole lot from all the plumbing, the joinery work, plastering to the tiling.
If the wall is out, I know exactly how much adhesive I need to put on and where. It does take a litte bit longer than combing, but will look a lot better, well worth the extra bit of time it takes. The manufactures recommended thickness is there to cover their own arses. Ive done 20mm thickness in parts before now, that was 8 years ago, I still have access to the tile and it is very much sound. Use a good flexible adhesive, even on a solid floor and you'll have no problems. If the wall or floor is miles out then I will tell the customer and I will level it up, but if the wall is only out 1/8 or 1/4 I'll get it out with the adhesive. Don't get me wrong if the floor is perfect, I'll comb it, but it has to be absolutely bang on. Wall prep, I can get perfect when dry lining, but building studwork is a little different. No matter how true you try to get it it's always out a tiny fraction because of slight twists and bends in the timber and it only takes one or two to throw the wall out an 1/8 of an inch or more, which you can get out with the tile and adhesive, so it doesn't matter too much. I'll put some photos up today... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think most of us have built out walls , cos we all know blooody plasterers can't get owt straight :), apart from me and my lads, we could make graham norton straight ;)
I'm with 3fall , Ive read all the thread and most people are confusing 4/5 dabs to fullish dabs .
Love debates like this .
Nice bathroom ste .

S

Ste450

I think most of us have built out walls , cos we all know blooody plasterers can't get owt straight :), apart from me and my lads, we could make graham norton straight ;)
I'm with 3fall , Ive read all the thread and most people are confusing 4/5 dabs to fullish dabs .
Love debates like this .
Nice bathroom ste .

S

Ste450

Cheers mate. I've not come on here to cause trouble, just to inform people that it can be done the way I do it as long as it's done properly using high quality cement based adhesive and using enough of it. I'm not going to do something that is going to damage my reputation and to be fair, it's been fine for 13 years :)

H

hmtiling

Cheers mate. I've not come on here to cause trouble, just to inform people that it can be done the way I do it as long as it's done properly using high quality cement based adhesive and using enough of it. I'm not going to do something that is going to damage my reputation and to be fair, it's been fine for 13 years :)
If your method works for you and you're achieving solid bed without exceeding adhesive depth limits then good for you mate.
The bathroom you've posted looks like a very nice job but as for people on here being 'gobsmacked', i think not. Also, compared to some on here, 13 years tiling is not a long time.

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen