Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Ste450

If your method works for you and you're achieving solid bed without exceeding adhesive depth limits then good for you mate.
The bathroom you've posted looks like a very nice job but as for people on here being 'gobsmacked', i think not. Also, compared to some on here, 13 years tiling is not a long time.

I do the all the plumbing, joinery and plastering, not just the tiling and my old man's been in the game for 40+ years and is a highly mutiskilled builder. 13 years is plenty long enough but to be honest, it doesn't matter how long someone has been tiling, I know lads that have been tiling for 30 years and they're *****. As for people being, "gobsmacked" I was referring to one person in particular as apparently I was living in "cuckoo land" using this method. It would be interesting to see some of the work from the lads on here...see if some of them can they're put their money where their mouth is...

H

hmtiling

I do the all the plumbing, joinery and plastering, not just the tiling and my old man's been in the game for 40+ years and is a highly mutiskilled builder. 13 years is plenty long enough but to be honest, it doesn't matter how long someone has been tiling, I know lads that have been tiling for 30 years and they're *****. As for people being, "gobsmacked" I was referring to one person in particular as apparently I was living in "cuckoo land" using this method. It would be interesting to see some of the work from the lads on here...see if some of them can they're put their money where their mouth is...
so you do all the joinery and plastering and still dot and dab...
I'm gobsmacked now pal!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking...lol
You reel off a list of things you do yet you can't prep a wall or floor for tiling using a notched trowel....lol

S

Ste450

Steve, you don't need to come on here all billy big balls, there are a lot of highly skilled and knowledgeable tilers on here, most of which I would think your not impressing

Couldn't really give a damn what anyone thinks of me on here and I've certainly not come here to impress, I've come on here simply to defend the validity of the way I tile. Some of you have been pretty nice and have some common sense, while others including yourself "Localtiler," have had a rather ignorant attitude! I've just flicked through a few photos of your work and it seems pretty neat at a glance. Look a bit closer and well, your wetrooms don't look up to much mate, one especially. And what's with recess? Can't you build it so you can get a full mosaic instead a tiny slither of a cut! Both these photos look a mess...and you're...ripping into me lol!

IMG_7275.PNG IMG_7274.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Ste450

IMG_7276.PNG
IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_5442.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG
Steve, you don't need to come on here all billy big balls, there are a lot of highly skilled and knowledgeable tilers on here, most of which I would think your not impressing

This is how neat a wetroom and recess should look IMG_7277.PNG

F

Flintstone

It'll look great then when there's water gathering in them voids!

I just tile I don't build voids and stud walls out.
You are supposed to silicone to the drain, not grout. And the moisture you see around the drain is soapy water. Not that I should have to explain!
I can see more chips than my local chip shop in them elvelope cuts of yours.
It all comes down to you arguing that dot and dabbing is a perfectly fine method, when it's not. No need to get your knickers in a twist about it

S

Ste450

It'll look great then when there's water gathering in them voids!

I just tile I don't build voids and stud walls out.
You are supposed to silicone to the drain, not grout. And the moisture you see around the drain is soapy water. Not that I should have to explain!
I can see more chips than my local chip shop in them elvelope cuts of yours.
It all comes down to you arguing that dot and dabbing is a perfectly fine method, when it's not. No need to get your knickers in a twist about it
What, you mean you just tile...and that's the standard of work you do!? haha!!
Picking faults in my work is like picking peanuts out of poo, there are no chips in my work mate, well maybe half a mm chips at the most, wow, get your microscope out lad. There's one on yours, top right it's a big one as well!
Theres no point blaming something else "the soapy water" anyone with half a brain can see its as rough as a bears arse. Why on earth would you even put a photo like that up on here to start with. There's nothing like a dirty looking, soap ridden wet room for your portfolio ;) Apart from that its still look bad.
You dont have to seal to the grid with silicone...watch the DVD. You do realise that water gets underneath the tiles in a wet area...that's why it's called "a wet room" and that's why you Tank it out. If you use silicone, it looks like a dogs dinner... There's no shame in admiting you've be taking the mick out of a better tradesmen, seems the joke is on you in this case :)

F

Flintstone

Whatever you like. I haven't seen anyone with such a bee in there bonnet for years, you need to chill out blobby

O

Old Mod

Ok so enough is enough!!
You can have as many lively discussions about techniques as you like, we all enjoy that.
However, what I will not witness is a personal slanging match, period!
You want to play like that, go do it on FB!
This is a public forum, and I will not have you making the forum look like a joke, you're supposed to be professionals, act like it.

S

Ste450

Ok so enough is enough!!
You can have as many lively discussions about techniques as you like, we all enjoy that.
However, what I will not witness is a personal slanging match, period!
You want to play like that, go do it on FB!
This is a public forum, and I will not have you making the forum look like a joke, you're supposed to be professionals, act like it.

Fair comment and I apologise for my part. What I don't like about these forums is that people are telling others that this method is bad or is cowboyish. You can tell from the standard of someone's work wether a job has been done with pride or not. I posted earlier an article of a new new method of spot tiling which everyone has conveniently seemed to ignore. People don't like to admit that maybe sometimes they can be wrong and that's the problem. I don't want customers coming up to me telling me I'm doing my job wrong because they've been looking in a forum such as this! I don't use "5 spots" but how would they know that, they would just see me spotting the back of the tile and presume the worst. I'm going to write to the British Standards agency myself to express feelings on the matter, how far I get I'm unsure. I didn't intend to come here to cause trouble...

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen