Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiles

I came across a tiler the other day when working on site and he was laying wall tiles using the dot and dab technique - if you can call it a technique that is!!!!!!!

Surely this cannot be right???

Must be a rogue tiler???

Anyone got any thoughts on this ???

G

GazTech

dot and dab, (known as spot fixing method), is not recognised within the industry. More often than not it leads to failure.....Gaz

W

wetdec

Yet on a regular basis we remove perfectly sound tiles secured by the old fashioned method of spot fixing....... strange times we live in.

tiler

P

pjtiler

spot fixing was common place back in the sixty /seventy's when adhesive was just coming in
in fact Richarfix (the 1st wall adhesive used in Manchester i believe ) recommended the methered
some of the jobs i did using spot fixing are still there and looking good after 40 odd years ,and im not taking of the odd bathroom
how times have changed

G

grumpygrouter

Maybe it is because modern houses are built using moisture sensitive materials like plasterboard now. Back in the old days the were brick/block/concrete, neither were showers very popular then. Certainly not power showers.

P

pjtiler

Maybe it is because modern houses are built using moisture sensitive materials like plasterboard now. Back in the old days the were brick/block/concrete, neither were showers very popular then. Certainly not power showers.

aye thats one of the reasons no doubt although back in them days i didn't work on houses

serrated trowels not being invented could have something to do with it would,nt you say

W

wetdec

Where would all the marketing people be now if it had carried on, you cant really write cutting edge bal literature on how spotting is the future can you :lol:

tiler

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Had this conversation recently, we take so much time and care on prep etc yet I'm always knocking off old tiles that are still up after 30 years and they have been stuck up with god knows what onto crappy old surfaces covered in old gloss paint etc, maybe we all worry too much.

W

wetdec

We are directed advised pointed baited and encouraged to step along side the marketing machines with money in their sites.

Without us they would fail, without them we would simply go back to spot fixing :lol:

P

Perry

i see it all the time on 600x600 porcelain floor tiles these are the people i am up against i solid bed all mine and the clients cant tell the difference until they run the scissor lifts and pallet trucks on them lol

G

Grace'sDad

I just finished taking tiles off an old wetroom last week. They had been stuck onto the original 1953 tiles which were impossible to remove! approx 3/4" thick at 4" square - no grout lines and dot & dabbed onto the bricks.

The homeowner was talking with his neighbour, an old man in his late 80's who actually tiled the bathrooms in all three bungalows in 1953. Laughing his head off listening to me struggling to get them off! :lol:

He said they just mixed sand and cement, stuck a blob on the wall and dipped each tile into a bucket of water before sticking onto the blob and pushing level.

Maybe not the BS technique, but they weren't half stuck solid!

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen

dot and dab > Tiling Advice - Tilers Forums
Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiles

I came across a tiler the other day when working on site and he was laying wall tiles using the dot and dab technique - if you can call it a technique that is!!!!!!!

Surely this cannot be right???

Must be a rogue tiler???

Anyone got any thoughts on this ???

G

GazTech

dot and dab, (known as spot fixing method), is not recognised within the industry. More often than not it leads to failure.....Gaz

W

wetdec

Yet on a regular basis we remove perfectly sound tiles secured by the old fashioned method of spot fixing....... strange times we live in.

tiler

P

pjtiler

spot fixing was common place back in the sixty /seventy's when adhesive was just coming in
in fact Richarfix (the 1st wall adhesive used in Manchester i believe ) recommended the methered
some of the jobs i did using spot fixing are still there and looking good after 40 odd years ,and im not taking of the odd bathroom
how times have changed

G

grumpygrouter

P

pjtiler

aye thats one of the reasons no doubt although back in them days i didn't work on houses

serrated trowels not being invented could have something to do with it would,nt you say

W

wetdec

Where would all the marketing people be now if it had carried on, you cant really write cutting edge bal literature on how spotting is the future can you :lol:

tiler

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Had this conversation recently, we take so much time and care on prep etc yet I'm always knocking off old tiles that are still up after 30 years and they have been stuck up with god knows what onto crappy old surfaces covered in old gloss paint etc, maybe we all worry too much.

W

wetdec

We are directed advised pointed baited and encouraged to step along side the marketing machines with money in their sites.

Without us they would fail, without them we would simply go back to spot fixing :lol:

P

Perry

i see it all the time on 600x600 porcelain floor tiles these are the people i am up against i solid bed all mine and the clients cant tell the difference until they run the scissor lifts and pallet trucks on them lol

G

Grace'sDad

I just finished taking tiles off an old wetroom last week. They had been stuck onto the original 1953 tiles which were impossible to remove! approx 3/4" thick at 4" square - no grout lines and dot & dabbed onto the bricks.

The homeowner was talking with his neighbour, an old man in his late 80's who actually tiled the bathrooms in all three bungalows in 1953. Laughing his head off listening to me struggling to get them off! :lol:

He said they just mixed sand and cement, stuck a blob on the wall and dipped each tile into a bucket of water before sticking onto the blob and pushing level.

Maybe not the BS technique, but they weren't half stuck solid!

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen