Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Had this conversation recently, we take so much time and care on prep etc yet I'm always knocking off old tiles that are still up after 30 years and they have been stuck up with god knows what onto crappy old surfaces covered in old gloss paint etc, maybe we all worry too much.

W

wetdec

We are directed advised pointed baited and encouraged to step along side the marketing machines with money in their sites.

Without us they would fail, without them we would simply go back to spot fixing :lol:

P

Perry

i see it all the time on 600x600 porcelain floor tiles these are the people i am up against i solid bed all mine and the clients cant tell the difference until they run the scissor lifts and pallet trucks on them lol

G

Grace'sDad

I just finished taking tiles off an old wetroom last week. They had been stuck onto the original 1953 tiles which were impossible to remove! approx 3/4" thick at 4" square - no grout lines and dot & dabbed onto the bricks.

The homeowner was talking with his neighbour, an old man in his late 80's who actually tiled the bathrooms in all three bungalows in 1953. Laughing his head off listening to me struggling to get them off! :lol:

He said they just mixed sand and cement, stuck a blob on the wall and dipped each tile into a bucket of water before sticking onto the blob and pushing level.

Maybe not the BS technique, but they weren't half stuck solid!

G

grumpygrouter

I just finished taking tiles off an old wetroom last week. They had been stuck onto the original 1953 tiles which were impossible to remove! approx 3/4" thick at 4" square - no grout lines and dot & dabbed onto the bricks.

The homeowner was talking with his neighbour, an old man in his late 80's who actually tiled the bathrooms in all three bungalows in 1953. Laughing his head off listening to me struggling to get them off! :lol:

He said they just mixed sand and cement, stuck a blob on the wall and dipped each tile into a bucket of water before sticking onto the blob and pushing level.

Maybe not the BS technique, but they weren't half stuck solid!
Fantastic. Couldn't be easier really. Does it work on plasterboard?:grin:

G

Grace'sDad

Bet it works great on brick - doubt it very much on plasterboard though:ninja:

I watched Grand Designs abroad thi evening and the spanish tilers were doing exactly the same thing.

G

grumpygrouter

Could someone please tell what are the problems and pitfalls of spot fixing.
Besides not complying with british standards, if it was on a floor, you would be left with voids under the tile which gives you very weak areas of the floor. This gives rise to much greater prospect of tiles breaking if you drop something or someone walks on it in stillettos.

On a wall, if you are in a wet area you have much greater potential for failure of the installation as water can get behind the tiles much much easier and possibly damage the substrate.

In wet areas you really need 100% coverage. Normal dry areas BS states at least 50% coverage but I always strive for at least 90%.

S

smurf21

LOL .. all you young uns are great with all the tech stuff but us old uns are learning the tech stuff and we still know the old ways. unfortunatlly lost for you minnows. unfortunatly with the tub stuff today makes it impossible to dot and dab as the adhesives dont set above 3mm. but compo fixing ...OH THOSE WHERE THE DAYS...
Thank god there gone.:hurray:

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen