Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Do you find these slivers on the sides acceptable? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

qwnz

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I know there's a "rule" that the tiles next to the wall shouldn't be cut shorter than half the tile size.

My marble slabs were supposed to be 30x30 cm and by my calculations the wall tiles would come out to be 14-15 cm which was totally fine for me.

But the tiles turned out to be something like 30,8 x 30,8 cm. Also the spacers I used aren't really the specified 4 mm but 5 mm.

Of course I didn't do a dry run and immediately started glueing this stuff to the floor.

Now my final tiles are 10-11 cm and look kind of slivery to me.

Could you please help ease my mind and tell me this looks alright still? Especially after the kitchen cabinets are installed?

PXL_20220225_153543527.jpg

Reaction score
Firstly there is no such rule. It’s all about the measurements and what it looks like to the eye. Are you happy with the tile? It’s a kitchen without units. Without seeing the kitchen plans I would not pass comment.

Reaction score
First of all , I think you've done a fairly decent job judging by the photo and there doesn't appear to be any lippage . If you had started with a grout line down the centre instead of the full tile you would have had something closer to a full tile on each side . A similar adjustment in the set out from the doorway to the radiator would have got rid of the slivers at the far end . The contrasting checkaboard highlights it a bit more but if you intend to put cabinets etc on the side walls , I wouldn't stress too much over it .. A dry run with spacers .... put it in the memory bank

Reply to Do you find these slivers on the sides acceptable? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock