Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

PJPro

So it looks like a round notched 10mm is OK for the floors. Is something smaller more appropriate for the walls? I believe I read somewhere that the notch size should reflect the thickness of the tile.

I

Ian

Your walls are brand new and should be straight and true, I only use a 10mm on the walls if ther are alot of ups and downs. The main aim is to get maximum coverage on the rear of the tile, no voids etc. Only my opinion though and like i said earlier due to the size of the tile a 10mm is a safe bet

S

Sean fsy

Maybe worth while putting a couple of expansion joints downstairs if you are going in and out of a few rooms.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Are you sure you want a rapid set adhesive ? you may be better with a standard set flexible, longer working pot life but obviously it will take longer to set, next day as a rule of thumb, 10mm minimum on the floor and back skim the back of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel, I would also use 10mm on the walls with your tiles, but that's personal choice, 8mm minimum in my humble opinion.

P

PJPro

Maybe worth while putting a couple of expansion joints downstairs if you are going in and out of a few rooms.
Yes, I wondered about that as downstairs will have wet underfloor heating. I was going to leave a small gap all the way round the bathroom floor and fill it with mastic. For downstairs, I was going to do the same, hiding the gap beheath the skirting board. I wanted to avoid an expansion joint across the width of the floor unless it was was sufficienty discrete not to notice.

Oh, the plumber and the spark started on site today. The pipe runs have started and I don't think it's gonna take him too long before the bathroom is ready for me to start. The delivery of the tiles has been confirmed for this Friday. But I still need to get the hardibacker, the water proof membrane (for round/under the shower) and the threshold thingys for the entrance to the bathroom and round the window. The tiles are mock travertine....I was going to get travertine but was put off by the high maintenance, sealing, etc. So I may put a strip of real travertine mosaic tiles around the wall. Then again, I may put in a strip of brushed stainless steel detail instead.

P

PJPro

Are you sure you want a rapid set adhesive ? you may be better with a standard set flexible, longer working pot life but obviously it will take longer to set, next day as a rule of thumb, 10mm minimum on the floor and back skim the back of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel, I would also use 10mm on the walls with your tiles, but that's personal choice, 8mm minimum in my humble opinion.
Well Topps only recommend the fast set with porcelaine for some reason, so that's what we've got.

I guess I don't want to use the rounded 10mm notched trowel on the wall......so can I get away with square on the walls and floor and just buy the one trowel?

D

doug boardley

a few ongoing photies would be nice as the job progresses, might be handy just in case we see something that can avoid disruption later down the line:thumbsup:

P

PJPro

Incidentally, I'm not entirely familiar with forum etiquette. Can someone explain the use of the thanks button? I seem to have been thanked twice and yet I've only posed questions, not answered them.

P

PJPro

a few ongoing photies would be nice as the job progresses, might be handy just in case we see something that can avoid disruption later down the line:thumbsup:
Hmm. OK. Actually, posts of that sort are something I do a lot. Take a gander at my useful posts pages....a collection of threads I have written on the What Hifi site which aim to help others with DIY electronics, woodwork and IT. You'll find the page here - What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - My Useful? Threads (Sorry if I have broken any house rules posting that link. I will remove it if I have).

D

doug boardley

Incidentally, I'm not entirely familiar with forum etiquette. Can someone explain the use of the thanks button? I seem to have been thanked twice and yet I've only posed questions, not answered them.
if you see the orange bar beneath a comment/post, there's a thumbs up icon with thanks written next to it, you just click that to thank someone for their post that you've found helpful/agree with:thumbsup:

P

PJPro

OK. Got the hang of that! Sorry.....I've not seen that feature on any of the forums I frequent.

D

doug boardley

Hmm. OK. Actually, posts of that sort are something I do a lot. Take a gander at my useful posts pages....a collection of threads I have written on the What Hifi site which aim to help others with DIY electronics, woodwork and IT. You'll find the page here - What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - My Useful? Threads (Sorry if I have broken any house rules posting that link. I will remove it if I have).
I think within the spirit of a good thread, we can let it remain

S

Sean fsy

Are you going to lay all these tiles brick bond? Keep any cuts you have at all times as im sure you will be able to utilise them some where along the lines. Maybe if your looking for ideas for the bathroom you could ask for particular photos and maybe we could put some pictures up for you.

P

PJPro

Are you going to lay all these tiles brick bond? Keep any cuts you have at all times as im sure you will be able to utilise them some where along the lines. Maybe if your looking for ideas for the bathroom you could ask for particular photos and maybe we could put some pictures up for you.
Yep. Brick bond. I guess that makes it harder!

Always looking for ideas.....what sort of thing do you mean?

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks