Search the forum,

Discuss Ditra with underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Hello all.

just a quick question. If you were laying underfloor heating would you always use Ditra Matt or similar after Self levelling or would you only use it when using particular tiles. The substrate is half original floorboards and newly laid chipboard which has already been laid prior to me visiting the job. I've also only got 25mm to play with height wise.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't advise tiling to chipboard. I know you can get the green stuff which is meant to not be too sensitive to water but I beleive it is still recommended that you overboard with 18mm plywood. You'll also need to check for deflection on the wood side. And use noggins under the chipboard to ensure that when you fix your plywood, it is fixed at 300mm centres. (The joists under the chipboard might not be at 300mm).

You'll also need an expansion strips where two sub-floors meet. So the heating cable can't cross that.

And perhaps then use Ditra or similar but treat the floors as separate floors, with the expansions strip between them.

Check with the tilers though as I might be missing something or a bit wrong there.

A

A&D Tilers

marmox concrete insulation boards or similar brand, you are better off bonding with flexible timber adhesive staggering the joints over different type or depth of floor. if you are using a self leveller ardex, aditex na, sticks to everything including bitumen. just an alternative.

R

rj1884

Cheers for your replies. I was going to overboard with marmox or something similar then lay the UFH then self level and tile. Would I only need to use a de-coupling Matt if the tiles are natural stone.

R

rj1884

Would I still need an expansion joint between the 2 subfloors if I'm over boarding with insulation boards.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It is not an expansion joint but a movement joint. With two independent substrates you can have both vertical and horizontal movement both of which can crack your tiles. Without some pretty complex calculations you can never predict the levels of movement especially in timber. Over boarding might negate this movement to a certain extent but you would be foolish not to put a joint in. Why risk a call back for the sake of a few pennies.

M

Mr Tiler

It is not an expansion joint but a movement joint. With two independent substrates you can have both vertical and horizontal movement both of which can crack your tiles. Without some pretty complex calculations you can never predict the levels of movement especially in timber. Over boarding might negate this movement to a certain extent but you would be foolish not to put a joint in. Why risk a call back for the sake of a few pennies.
is that the same with using ditra in this instance with 2 connecting substrates?

R

rj1884

Ajax I totally agree. Would you then treat the 2 areas as 2 separate floors in relation to the UFH. How would that work with the wiring of the thermostat.

Reply to Ditra with underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen