Search the forum,

Discuss Ditra with underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Are they really 2 separate floors? Or have you just replaced some floorboards with chipboard!?! I'm not sure why there would be vertical movement, unless maybe they react that differently to the underfloor heating!?! Not someone I've sen before, or even thought about for that matter..

Last edited:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
is that the same with using ditra in this instance with 2 connecting substrates?

As I understand it Ditra is not designed to negate the reflection of joints. It can help increase the bay size for the tiles but if there is a joint in the substrate it should reflect through the tiles.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are they really 2 separate floors? Or have you just replaced some floorboards with chipboard!?! I'm not sure why there would be vertical movement, unless maybe they react that differently to the underfloor heating!?! Not someone I've sen before, or even thought about for that matter..

This is nowt to do with the UFH on top although this could have some effect. It is more to do with potential movement of the substrate. Vertical movement is simply explained. Timber floors move and flex when loaded. You can minimise this by the use of noggins and such likes but you cannot predict this movement very accurately especially if it's a timber suspended floor as opposed to a ground borne floor. That said I am not saying you can't bridge the joint. I'm just saying you shouldn't.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Ah, I see what you're saying.. Over boarding should negate this though, as long as you don't have join on top of join.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Whatever Alan says. Do it. He knows the score. That is all.

Im sorry, but you're not going to put a movement joint in a 3m2 floor because its half floorboard and half chipboard!?! That may or may not be what we are talking about here...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im sorry, but you're not going to put a movement joint in a 3m2 floor because its half floorboard and half chipboard!?! That may or may not be what we are talking about here...

Its no one else's decision but yours what you actually do and often people do stuff and get away with it. The decision to do or not do what is technically correct will be heavily dependent on probability of subsequent issues and the commercial impact those issues might have.

If the substrate is indeed one single span floor with boards on one half and chip on the other over boarding would indeed be appropriate and no movement joint necessary. If the joint is parallel to the supporting sub structure but is transversed with some sort of reinforcement to prevent differential vertical movement then no joint would be necessary. E.g. If two joists abut each other parallel along the span where the overlayment meets but the joists are bolted or nailed together then no differential movement would occur as the joists are not independent.

If however as has been suggested ( maybe I read it wrong ) and it is two separate and independent substrates with a clearly isolated joint between them then it matters not what size the floor is there should be a movement joint in the covering. That is beyond debate because you cannot guarantee there will be no differential vertical movement.

What of course is debateable is whether or not you would actually put that joint there. With 3m2 you will probably get away with no joint because the actual level of movement in any direction is likely to be very small. And of course the cost of any potential remedial would be equally small.

Its more about how the two subsrate types are separated than the fact that there are two different materials that governs the need for a joint.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever Alan says. Do it. He knows the score. That is all.

No pressure then... :)

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Alan, I agree completely with your last post. Just didn't feel there was enough info from the OP to jump to any conclusions. ;)

2020Tiling

I'm doing a similar job, 8 mtr floor half floor boards and half chipboard, porcelain tiles. My question is would I still need too use an uncoupling mat after I have over boarded with hardy and at what stage would the ufh go down with the ditra? :8:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I'm doing a similar job, 8 mtr floor half floor boards and half chipboard, porcelain tiles. My question is would I still need too use an uncoupling mat after I have over boarded with hardy and at what stage would the ufh go down with the ditra? :8:

my thoughts are, no.. You'll have flexible adhesive both sides of the hardy, which should be enough to take up the movement, IMHO.

Reply to Ditra with underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen