Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Different Size Tiling Trowels in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

ChiversTiling

Was just on my mind and like to hear your views,

have all the rubi trowels 3mm 4.5mm 6mm 8mm 10mm 12mm

Obviously use trowels for small tiles for either
Mosaic for 3mm
Small ceramic 4.5m

Then my 10mm or 12mm for bigger tiles

M

mr.tile

U should really ask your supplier about some new throwels. With large format and newer science, adhedsives and throwels have changed. It alle depends on the surface, enviroment and product. Or are you still caught in the 90's: View: https://youtu.be/pyt2US_SSBM

tmp_12656-Screenshot_2015-10-10-08-43-03-1651979242.png

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mr.tile

Sound like a true professional.. I've seen water leaking out of doorframes by showers, tiles showing different shades due to lack of coverage, not to mention outdoors. People with three sons and four daughters showering three times a day, times haven't changed, water damages arent a problem, science aren't a part of our proffesion and you're just right!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
For me it's more a case if surface over tile format. But of course format comes into it.
I don't think you can generalise anymore. Having just done a mosaic feature 2" porcelain with my 8mm trowel.
I tend to use 6mm for ditra now rather than a 4/4.5.
10mm square or 12mm TB on floors, unless it's stone, and again depending on how good the sub is.

C

ChiversTiling

Yer I use 10mm or 12mm for floors as ya get a good thick bed

Walls bit different,
Obviously use 3.5mm for mosiac then all depends on the size of the tiles for me something like 600x300 I'll use 10mm or 8mm never really use my 6mm trowel

S

Spud

trowel sizes and notch shapes aren't that important when trying to gain full coverage on large format , adhesive companies want ever increasing deeper notches so you use more of their products , substrate flatness and back skimming the tiles and combing the adhesive the same direction all help , but its the classification of the adhesive that is far more important , most of the adhesives we use here in the uk are c2ft or c2fts1 which wont help you get the full coverage unless you mix them up so runny that it weakens their cured strength , the T part of the classification means thixotrophic or anti slump it actively holds the notch shape to stop the tiles weight compressing down or slipping if you use it on vertical surfaces , if you are looking to achieve solid bed fixing on floors use adhesive that dont have the the T rating , like PTB adhesives and similar , these readily slump under the tile and give you the coverage needed on large tiles

M

mr.tile

Would not recommend c2ft unless it's hurry up. I normally use c2teS1, as the E gives more open time.
The S is how flexible it it is. S1 can bend 2,5mm before cracking, s2 5,0mm. Full coverage on bigger tiles than 40*40 using T rating it is advised back buttering as u can see how much pressure needed.

20151014_215801.jpg

Reply to Different Size Tiling Trowels in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks