Search the forum,

Discuss Different Size Tiling Trowels in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mr.tile

Sound like a true professional.. I've seen water leaking out of doorframes by showers, tiles showing different shades due to lack of coverage, not to mention outdoors. People with three sons and four daughters showering three times a day, times haven't changed, water damages arent a problem, science aren't a part of our proffesion and you're just right!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
For me it's more a case if surface over tile format. But of course format comes into it.
I don't think you can generalise anymore. Having just done a mosaic feature 2" porcelain with my 8mm trowel.
I tend to use 6mm for ditra now rather than a 4/4.5.
10mm square or 12mm TB on floors, unless it's stone, and again depending on how good the sub is.

C

ChiversTiling

Yer I use 10mm or 12mm for floors as ya get a good thick bed

Walls bit different,
Obviously use 3.5mm for mosiac then all depends on the size of the tiles for me something like 600x300 I'll use 10mm or 8mm never really use my 6mm trowel

S

Spud

trowel sizes and notch shapes aren't that important when trying to gain full coverage on large format , adhesive companies want ever increasing deeper notches so you use more of their products , substrate flatness and back skimming the tiles and combing the adhesive the same direction all help , but its the classification of the adhesive that is far more important , most of the adhesives we use here in the uk are c2ft or c2fts1 which wont help you get the full coverage unless you mix them up so runny that it weakens their cured strength , the T part of the classification means thixotrophic or anti slump it actively holds the notch shape to stop the tiles weight compressing down or slipping if you use it on vertical surfaces , if you are looking to achieve solid bed fixing on floors use adhesive that dont have the the T rating , like PTB adhesives and similar , these readily slump under the tile and give you the coverage needed on large tiles

M

mr.tile

Would not recommend c2ft unless it's hurry up. I normally use c2teS1, as the E gives more open time.
The S is how flexible it it is. S1 can bend 2,5mm before cracking, s2 5,0mm. Full coverage on bigger tiles than 40*40 using T rating it is advised back buttering as u can see how much pressure needed.

20151014_215801.jpg

M

mr.tile

Theese covers It all. For big tiles like 45*90 I cross the adhesive in one direction on the floor with a 10, then another direction with 4,5 on the tile. The rubi 45' is a pretty awesome invention.

tmp_9505-DSC_00311042499713.JPG tmp_9505-rubi-45deg-trowel_2-811433510.png

S

Spud

Theese covers It all. For big tiles like 45*90 I cross the adhesive in one direction on the floor with a 10, then another direction with 4,5 on the tile. The rubi 45' is a pretty awesome invention.

View attachment 77490 View attachment 77491
We did similar experiments with the glass when trying to get 100% coverage with large format thin tiles I like the rubi trowels but I find they don't last long before the teeth start falling off ,try the glass experiment with the trowels you will find better coverage if you keep the notches going the same way with the 10 and the 4.5

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Interesting. The video says 'No need for back buttering'. On some tiles back buttering uses up quite a bit of addy. I bought the new Genesis Tiger trowel (CTD bogof). Got some 60x60 porcs tomorrow so will use it there. Still going to back butter.

So how often do you replace your trowel. Trowels wear down over time. Do you keep your 8mm trowel when it turns into a 6mm trowel?

Ditra used to use a 3mm trowel, but now suggest a 4mm trowel. I got a free one at CTD trade day.

Ardex AF200 give a free 2mm trowel with each tub (ok it has a wooden handle and will rust after 5 minutes), but it will make the glue go quite a bit further.

I

Ian

I re-cut my trowels every now and again. I do have a 10x10mm trowel that is probably worn down to 10x7mm that I find spot on for smaller wall tiles say 250x300mm. I use a genesis tiger for floors, they seem to last a lot longer than the Rubi soft grips, I haven't tried to re-cut one of those, don't think it'd go very well! :tearsofjoy:

S

StevieBoy

I'm the same Bri, I re-cut mine every so often. I even have a homemade 15mm x 15mm trowel for large format.

But I will replace them when they eventually become unusable lol :)

Reply to Different Size Tiling Trowels in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen