Search the forum,

Discuss Dark patches in limestone grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SOTON STEVE

Hi Guys

I've just completed a job (grouted last wednesday, finished Thursday) where I used BAL Superflex Wide Joint Limestone. I have just been back to the house as the client has complained about random dark patches on the grout. It looks like damp spots, but I know its definitly not that. Please have a look at the pics provided. I know I havent done anything wrong with the mix. Please help me identify this problem.

Many thanks

Steve

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 76
D

DHTiling

Hi steve...

You need to call the rep out...don't let them say it's efflorescence...:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

hard to tell for sure what it could be steve, I'm assumig you used a white adhesive and it's not discolouration bleeding through

S

SOTON STEVE

The adhesive used was Bal Grip which turns pretty much white when dry. If it was a bleeding problem surley it would show up everywhere?

Steve

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Steve - its the 2nd thread this week on Bal limestone grout and discolouration. That must tell you something!:thumbsdown:

Timeless John.

S

SOTON STEVE

I've just read the other thread about this problem. Whats the best way to tackle BAL?

D

DHTiling

Before you do steve...

How long was the adhesive left to set and how deep did you go with it...?

E

enduro

You may have mixed it correctly, but was i cleaned off with to much water, to quickly? were the joints totally clean of adhesive before grouting?

K

kaharrison9

I replied on the other thread with this same problem i've experienced 3 times now with Bal superflex limestone.
I have followed the instructions exactly as said previously.
To add to my earlier comments i've used this grout on porcelain,ceramic and slate.
The drying time of adhesive has been 2 days,1 week and a regrout that was tiled one year later.
The substrate has been plaster and hardiebacker.
Quite a wide array but have had this problem every time.
Trying a differant brand next time.
Should have contacted Bal but assumed as nobody else had really mentioned it somehow i was at fault
Kev

P

Perry

bal grout used to always darken when the moisture comes out when the wrong adhesive ie bucket or to deep and or the substrate is non porous or gets wet :pete

Reply to Dark patches in limestone grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen