Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting large travetine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Good morning all
Have been to look at a floor that a customer wants doing in 600mm travetine.
I haven't cut any travetine this size before and am gradually building up my kit.
Will my angle grinder and wet cutter be adequate to acheive a quality job or will i certainly need a bridge wheel cutter?
Cheers for your thoughts
Kev

T

Time's Ran Out

KA - I only use an angle grinder to cut a few shapes and holes.
You will need a wet cutter and the better the better.
You can pick up a clipper for £200 and it will do eveything you need.
When your doing a trav job every week it will be worth going for the bridge type cutter.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

D

doug boardley

hiya Kev, I use my bridge cutter for trav that size, although I'm gonna have to have a rethink as to how I'm gonna cut 100m2 of 1200 x 600 marble I've been asked to do, will probably have to use my angle grinder on those:thumbsdown:

H

hillhead

My Sigma 10M does my jobs superbly !!! eats all for breakfast and with the 3hp motor it can cut 4" deep with 300mm blade.not a cheap machine though.:incazzato:

K

kaharrison9

Thanks for your thoughts
Sounds like i need to look into a rail cutter,don't mind investing as long as it's the right kit for the right purpose.
The wet cutter i have the tile snags on the bracket that holds the hood over the wheel.
Is this common on the more expensive wet cutters?
Cheers all
Kev

D

diamondtiling

My Sigma 10M does my jobs superbly !!! eats all for breakfast and with the 3hp motor it can cut 4" deep with 300mm blade.not a cheap machine though.:incazzato:

I agree, not a cheap machine, I have had mine over six years and its the best tool I ever bought.

:hurray:

K

kaharrison9

Sounds well reccommended this Sigma 10m
Where did you guys purchase it from or have you any links for it?
Have googled the name and not much appeared.
Will be purchasing something soon if the customer gives us the go ahead for the trav job.
Cheers
Kev

H

hillhead

Sounds well reccommended this Sigma 10m
Where did you guys purchase it from or have you any links for it?
Have googled the name and not much appeared.
Will be purchasing something soon if the customer gives us the go ahead for the trav job.
Cheers
Kev

Hi kev, i bought mine from armatile.com, they are my local and stock good range of everything but diatech in scotland stock sigma and im sure they could sort you out with something too? also tradetiler has a good looking dewalt wet cutter,i seen it mentioned a few times lately on here.

K

kaharrison9

Thanks Hillhead
With spending a fair bit like to look at all options,
Have been looking at the Dewalt at Trade tiler which appears a good price and free angle grinder as well and the Rubi.
I'm sure i will have further questions.
Looking to but a Fein Master as well-hope i've enough left to buy some sponges and spacers!!
Cheers
Kev

P

penno

Good morning all
Have been to look at a floor that a customer wants doing in 600mm travetine.
I haven't cut any travetine this size before and am gradually building up my kit.
Will my angle grinder and wet cutter be adequate to acheive a quality job or will i certainly need a bridge wheel cutter?
Cheers for your thoughts
Kev

If you have a decent blade on a grinder no reason atall you cannot achieve a quality job. Good grinder and blade will give you nice clean cuts if you are adept at using a grinder.

T

Terry Cottar

id probably rent one then in this situation and cost the rent in on the job

tel

Reply to Cutting large travetine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen