Discuss crap job - when is too late to take to court? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pilsburypie

Firstly a huge thanks to all who replied to my first post about my problem bathroom floor and tiles slumping and grout cracking.(Probably best to read that so you can get the scene set).

I now know that a builder is NOT a tiler! I have had some excellent responses on how to get my problem floor sorted, but some people have said don't let him fix the problem as he is obviously not up to the job and persue for costs in small claims. (He has agreed to come to redo the floor the same poor way as originally! I've yet to inform him on the proper way you chaps have suggested)

The rest of his tiling sucks too, but the job was completed March last year some 10 months ago. We were never happy with the job, but major problems like the floor and leaking bath (3 times) and the job over running by 3 weeks overshadowed all the less major points. Take a look at some of my photos, I know what you're all gonna say about the job, but I really want to know where I stand about getting a professional to do the whole job properly and claim costs off him some 10months later.....

Massive silicon joints around floor, chipped poorly cut edges, ridiculous mitred trim...... take a look. Such a shame for such a lot of hard saved money

Attachments

• above door-1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 224
  • above showergap-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 217
  • mitre1-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 223
  • mitre2-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 218
  • mitre3-1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 212
  • silicongap-1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 219
  • windowsill-1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 218
M

mikethetile

Yes you can go ahead
treat the whole job as one and explain that you havent dealt with the other issues as the bathroom floor was a safety hazzard and you wanted that part of the job resolved first and then wanted to pick up the issues with the other tiling

you can do this on line, you will also need a report from a pro tiler

you have given him ample oppurtunity to resolve this matter so youn dont need to allow him any more

pm Dave for a suitable tiler in your area

W

wayno1664

oh dear . firstly he has used wrong depth trim for tiles .too short in depth . very poor mitres . if your mitres are not up to scratch , then use corner peices .
all round standard very poor . i would say you would have a decent claim in the small claims court .
i certainly wouldnt let him back to rectify his horrors
good luck and all the best

D

DHTiling

My god that is not nice at all...

I do wish some peeps would stick to trades that they can do..

Have you got any pics a bit further back to see the whole effect.?

D

david campbell

deary me,that really is quite bad,the chrome trime is a safety hazard on it's own,you have to take a claim against him in the small claims court and to be honest he doesn't have a leg to stand on,the only problem may be getting the money from him as it's not unusual for small companys to fold therefore you will lose out on a refund

A

albyshellshear

I hate cowboys and feel for you, how you didnt hit him is beond me, good luck :thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Why did you allow him to continue when it was obvious he is a chancer? There are so many decent hardworking tilers out there with little work and people allow shoddy builders to do everything. Its not hard to check people out and if you cant see previous work then dont proceed. Did he give you the best price for all the work? If so then you went for the cheapest option and that will always bring trouble.
Sorry to sound harsh but its time customers stopped allowing builders to do the tiling and the plumbing and all the other trades that some builders think is easy.

:prrr::prrr:

R

Rich

It makes me so sad and angry that there are god knows how many good tilers going bust and yet guys like this still have work on! Id ask the builder to come on the forum and let us all know why it was impossible to do a decent job :mad2:

D

Daz

Okay first, you have my sincere sympathy for that job.

I'm no legal brain and do not, honestly, know where you stand regarding a claim, or the steps and timeframe involved, so I will not pass any advise in relation to that.

I do know, however, that the tile job you have received is absolutely shocking and way below the standard of anyone that would expect payment for said work. It is difficult to criticise a job when you only have a few limited pics, so my advise would be to request that a local tiler visit and provide a full report on the work. The report will not only focus on the aesthetic aspects of the job, but more importantly, on the safety aspects. Even if you have to pay £50 for the report, I'm confident that you will have sufficient information to seek legal compensation and a job completed correctly.

D

diamondtiling

Okay first, you have my sincere sympathy for that job.

I'm no legal brain and do not, honestly, know where you stand regarding a claim, or the steps and timeframe involved, so I will not pass any advise in relation to that.

I do know, however, that the tile job you have received is absolutely shocking and way below the standard of anyone that would expect payment for said work. It is difficult to criticise a job when you only have a few limited pics, so my advise would be to request that a local tiler visit and provide a full report on the work. The report will not only focus on the aesthetic aspects of the job, but more importantly, on the safety aspects. Even if you have to pay £50 for the report, I'm confident that you will have sufficient information to seek legal compensation and a job completed correctly.

Good advice, please act on it very soon.

:thumbsup:

B

BoltonTiler

if you can like said ask a proffessional tiler to come in, photograph and do a detailed description of all the mistakes made in the job. And part of the quotation offered by a known tiler is redo the work and photograph and describe the rectified mistakes...The before and after results, plus the discrepances reported in writing should put you in good stead to have a case to show incompitence.

W

White Room

Just seem to see more of this kind of work, is it because of the lack of work at the moment that builders tend to do most of the work themselves rather than pass it over to the relevant trade

Reply to crap job - when is too late to take to court? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay