Discuss crap job - when is too late to take to court? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BoltonTiler

that could well be the case mate, and it makes us all sick........never mind though, the cream always rises to the top:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

Just seem to see more of this kind of work, is it because of the lack of work at the moment that builders tend to do most of the work themselves rather than pass it over to the relevant trade
thats exactly whats going on
its not just building trade that can tile ..............its anyone who hasnt got a job

Reaction score
This is all good advice and I hope you manage to get it all sorted out in the end.

I've recently lost out on 2 quite large jobs to builders who blag the customer into thinking they can tile. One was a marble floor that I had to submit my quote for via the builder so it was obvious they would under cut my price.... the other was 116m2 travertine floor. I got called into tile the 5 bathrooms, and I was asked by the customer NOT to look closely at the travertine. When I left after tiling the bathrooms the builders were telling the customer how they would need to bring in a "buffer" to polish the trav and take down the lips!! :mad2::mad2:

H

hillhead

its going on everywhere lads,way too much. can customers not see early on in a job????

Reaction score
That was after they'd taken a grinder to a lip in a doorway :lol: when I spoke to the customer she said the builders had had a nightmare because the floor "was all over the place" she then asked what she would have to do if the tiles started cracking once she had moved in...... I told her to call me and I'd we could rip up the floor and start from scratch and do it properly :thumbsup:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Its amazing how many of these chancers think that tiling is a doddle. :yikes::yikes:

A

Aston

Firstly a huge thanks to all who replied to my first post about my problem bathroom floor and tiles slumping and grout cracking.(Probably best to read that so you can get the scene set).

I now know that a builder is NOT a tiler! I have had some excellent responses on how to get my problem floor sorted, but some people have said don't let him fix the problem as he is obviously not up to the job and persue for costs in small claims. (He has agreed to come to redo the floor the same poor way as originally! I've yet to inform him on the proper way you chaps have suggested)

The rest of his tiling sucks too, but the job was completed March last year some 10 months ago. We were never happy with the job, but major problems like the floor and leaking bath (3 times) and the job over running by 3 weeks overshadowed all the less major points. Take a look at some of my photos, I know what you're all gonna say about the job, but I really want to know where I stand about getting a professional to do the whole job properly and claim costs off him some 10months later.....

Massive silicon joints around floor, chipped poorly cut edges, ridiculous mitred trim...... take a look. Such a shame for such a lot of hard saved money

hi pilsburypie

i really feel for you on this and the work is woeful but you really need to consult a solicitor over this...the fact that 10 months have gone by might not matter that much because you could have been trying to arrange a compromise with the builder for all the courts know BUT you really should have kept a diary of events regarding this situation..also, if the builder turns round and says, ' i'm not a tiler, the customer knew that, i just gave a price and did my best' , then it leaves you in a position of responsibilty because you allowed a non professional to carry out your work...that said, you should have had the work carried out to a satisfactory standard....obviously, the builders will have their side of the story , so my original advice is , seel legal advice asap with all your facts, photos and accounts.....

hope it works out for you..
ed

lcjohno

TF
Reaction score
I'm currently tiling a kitchen which the 'Builder' had tiled and messed up. It is under floor heating and the customer made him rip the lot up after the first effort. He started doing the floor again using same insulation boards :yikes:.When you walked over it there were big holes in the boards. The customer then told him to leave. The guy fit the whole kitchen which is a mess, the plastering is poor, customer got an electrician in the other day who said the electrics wont pass building standards. The customer did some research on the guy and it turns out he has 5 court hearings coming up regarding his work:yikes::yikes::yikes:.
They just dont want to turn any work over and think they'll do it themselves cos work has been slack. If i was you i'd get a tiler in to redo. There's loads of quality tilers on this forum and i'm sure there's one near you.
Good luck sorting it out.

W

White Room

I would be so humiliated to be asked to leave a job under them circumstances, why do they do it:incazzato:

M

mikethetile

why do the research after the jobs messed up, wouldnt it be better to check someone out before letting them loose on your biggest asset..........your home

M

mikethetile

another good reason why our trade should be regulated.HELLO?
the building trade in this country needs a total rethink to protect the tradesman and client alike

no one permited to trade without a licence with trades listed on the licence

licence linked to a website for instant checking

trades only added after being tested for competance

prosecuted for working outside of a trade your licenced for

thats any work domestic or sitework

J

jamie B

the sad and obvious answer to why people do work they aren't qualified to do is that times are tough!
Every chancer that ever held a trowel/hammer is doing whatever they can for money.
A real sign that we're in a recession.
I was chatting to a 'chippie' on a job recently..I clocked that as well as his tools being very new looking he had all his gear in a people carrier (complet with 2 kiddie chairs)..turns out he was made redundant from diary crest 2 months earlier..he even admitted to me he'd 'only ever really done stuff around the house'. Although I sympathise with people up against it like that..it did take him the two days I was there to hang 2 doors..badly.
He was picking my brains at tea time about meterage prices n'all..could be a new tiler in town soon!:lol:..I feel sorry for those sorta people..and even sorrier for the paying customers.:thumbsdown:

P

pilsburypie

So, the concensus seems to be don't let this chap have another go and try and claim costs off him.

I have requested some names off Dave to come and write me a report and quote me for doing the job properly.

I am about to research claiming money for poor workmanship in the small claims court but was wondering what do you lot think I can claim for? Will I just get back the part of the money the builder said he budgeted for tiling? Or will I be able to claim for everything I incur to get the job done properly by a pro tiler?

e.g.

cost fo materials to include new tiles, trim, adhesives, grout, ply, hardiebacker
cost to remove bathroom suite and replace after job finished
cost to remove old tiles and make good damage done by removing
cost of a professional tiler to do the work
court costs
anything else?

Or will I have to pay an amount which the court sees fit as the difference between his quote and a pro tiler quote?

As requested some more pics of the whole floor. They are not as dramatic as the close ups.

Attachments

• floorx-1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 60
  • floory-1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
  • floorz-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 60

Reply to crap job - when is too late to take to court? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay