Search the forum,

Discuss cracked tiles due to cooker heat. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve got a customer that had his kitchen tiled only 2 years ago. The tiles at the back of the cooker are cracked and discoloured due to the heat generated by their massive 6 ring gas cooker, and the grease from cooking. At the time he asked the tiler for epoxy grout, but the tiler just grouted with flexible grout.

The customer now wants the tiling done again. Some tiles are cracked, do you think I should use porcelain tiles with epoxy grout?

Also, the previous tiler ran a grout line where the floor changes from a timber substrate to a concrete one. I am guessing that all I can do is scrape out the grout and regrout with superflex w/j grout. I know that this will not be a permanent solution but will it be ok to do?

One more thing. I’ve just been on the Topps website and they are selling an epoxy grout float. I don’t need a special float.......do I?

Thanks
Sean

D

DHTiling

Are they are heavy glazed tile that is on..?

It could be glaze crazing and not cracked tiles....worth a thought when advising in the future...:thumbsup:

O

Olz

You could also fill the expansion joint left by the previous tiler with silicone that matches the grout colour

G

grumpygrouter

....and if you go down the epoxy route, you need to use a hard rubber float!!

D

doug boardley

I’ve got a customer that had his kitchen tiled only 2 years ago. The tiles at the back of the cooker are cracked and discoloured due to the heat generated by their massive 6 ring gas cooker, and the grease from cooking. At the time he asked the tiler for epoxy grout, but the tiler just grouted with flexible grout.

The customer now wants the tiling done again. Some tiles are cracked, do you think I should use porcelain tiles with epoxy grout?

Also, the previous tiler ran a grout line where the floor changes from a timber substrate to a concrete one. I am guessing that all I can do is scrape out the grout and regrout with superflex w/j grout. I know that this will not be a permanent solution but will it be ok to do?

One more thing. I’ve just been on the Topps website and they are selling an epoxy grout float. I don’t need a special float.......do I?

Thanks
Sean
Sean, Tiles are fired at a far higher temperature than a cooker will transfer onto a splashback, my guess is that the substrate, rather than the tiles and adhesive, has failed thus leading to more movement than the tiles will tolerate and therefore cracking them

Reply to cracked tiles due to cooker heat. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen