Search the forum,

Discuss cracked tiles 6 months afer fitting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

We have recently had our kitchen floor tiled. 4 weeks after fitting when walking upon the tiles loud cracks like snapping sticks were audible. The tiles looked to be sound with no cracks visible. After 5 months cracks have appeared mainly in the middle of the floor and on the periphery of the kitchen
. Theses cracks are point to point. It would appear the tiler fitted 6mm ply to wayrock flooring. The wayrock flooring had some movement in before the ply was fitted.

I know absolutely nothing about tiling could someone please advise in laymans terms.

Thanks and Regards...Keith Butler

G

Gazzer

If there was movement then it should have been sorted before going any further. 6mm ply is not good enough.
Laymans terms...the floor is useless and needs to come up.

U

Unregistered

If there was movement then it should have been sorted before going any further. 6mm ply is not good enough.
Laymans terms...the floor is useless and needs to come up.

Thanks very much for your reply. I have suspected this outcome already.

U

Unregistered

the floor was not prepared correctly prior to tiling, get the tiler back

The tiler said he would come back yesterday, but he didn't show up, 1 tile came up in April it took him 6 weeks to sort this problem out. I don't expect him to come back at all. Do you have any idea where we stand from a legal point of view.

Cheers...Keith Butler

I

Ian

Hello Keith, it would help you (and me!) if you register on the forum, the guest area has to have all the posts manually approved even from long term members. I just don't want you to miss any advice that is being offered to you.

U

Unregistered

Hello Keith, it would help you (and me!) if you register on the forum, the guest area has to have all the posts manually approved even from long term members. I just don't want you to miss any advice that is being offered to you.

Thanks for the advice. I shall do so. I'm very surprised by the responses I've had.

Cheers...Keith

K

Keithy1957

Thanks for your response. I know nothing about tiling, I expected the tiler would know, that's why we gave him the job. I work on the rigs so it was somewhat of a surprise to see tiles cracking 6 months after fitting. If you don't know, then you don't know. I have never professed that I knew about tiling, you may have a misconception about me, this why we hired a pro (debatable)

Reply to cracked tiles 6 months afer fitting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen