Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked screed floor. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

costachubb

Have a problem, floor screed is crumbling and there is a crack right in the middle of the floor. There's also old carpet adhesive along the perimeter of the room(hall). I want to tile over. Any advice as to how to go about it, please.

C

costachubb

When I tried to scrape the carpet adhesive off the screed it comes off not very easily btw also the adhesives comes off with the layer of the screed, which looks more like compressed sand

Attachments

• image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 71
C

costachubb

My mate suggested that should just tile over it... I decided to scrape the carpet adhesive off as much as pos before tiling. Would I need to use slc? Would it bond to this sandy screed?...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Run a sander over it to get rid of all the rubbish on the top. Vac it. That might give you a fighting chance to see what state it's in. The crack is a simple shrinkage restraint crack. There should have been a joint across the doorway but that has been missed leading to the crack. If the screed is heated it will need an epoxy stitch repair. If its unheated you could either epoxy it or ditra over the top.

2020Tiling

would you have to ditra over the whole floor or could you get away with a long piece over the crack then use a fibre slc and self level over the whole floor? I have a similar problem at the min.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Whole floor. Ditra is not for crack "bridging" but is to take account of horizontal stresses which cause cracks in the first place. A length just over the crack is likely to move the problem elsewhere.

Reply to Cracked screed floor. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen