Discuss Correct float and adhesive for concrete / durabase in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All. Ive done some research which has confused me more than when I started reading. So thought id post for some advice.

I have a poured concrete screed floor with UFH, its been down 18 months with UFH on low. The surface has been sanded as it had a sheen when it first cured. Im wanting to tile it (have tiled walls before) but wanted to do it right. As such ive purchased the tiles and membrane but have a couple of questions.

1. Theres quite a big difference in price between Mapei Keraquick Wall & Floor Rapid-Set Flexible and Mapei Rapid-Set Flex Wall & Floor Adhesive. Which should I be using and why? Im not averse to the cost if its necessary but I cant tell what.
2. Based on the above, do I need to mix in latex?
3. Ive bought durabase anti-fracture membrane. Can I use the same adhesive as above? with 3mm trowel
4. My tiles are 150x600mm food effect porcelain. what size trowel notch should I be using?
5. The screed is level, smooth, clean and dry. Ive washed it and vac'd it, do I need a primer or will I be ok?

I will be tiling at my own speed in small batches as I know the adhesive can set up quickly.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Took a guess and worked it out myself.

6mm square notch trowel that collapses to 3mm
Mapie primer G
I tried both adhesives in a test spot and were solid so went with cheaper one.
used the same adhesive for matting as well as tiles.
Did a test spot for the tiles, used same trowel and back buttered. Took tile off and had collapsed niclely with about 4mm of adhesive layer.

Cheers

Reply to Correct float and adhesive for concrete / durabase in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks