Search the forum,

Discuss Concrete floor prep help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RobM

Hi. Have 1840s property where I have knocked two rooms into one to form large kitchen/diner. Want to tile the kitchen floor area and apply wooden floor to the diner area. Existing kitchen area used to have some form of bonded vinyl tiles which now removed have left a bitumen type surface.
Existing diner area is original concrete/screed but is in poor condition in places. I'm assuming due to age of property there is no DPC under floor (although no signs of dampness in floor) but would like to use a self levelling product that will also act as a damproof membrane just to make sure. I also need something that can be used on both floor areas that would be suitable for the applicatrion of both tiles and wood flooring.
I've searched the net and can't find an all in one product :mad2: Most require area to be free of 'oils' so does this mean I need to somehow remove the bitumen surface left from the old tiles first ? Could I seal the whole area with a bitumen type sealer and blind it with sand then use a resin / cement based self levelling compound? Any views on best products for this?
Any help appreciated, only want to do the job once!

Thanks.

J

jay

:welcome: would be best to remove the old adh

and by poor condition of concrete floor what exactly do you mean cracks powdery or just not flat

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Hi. Have 1840s property where I have knocked two rooms into one to form large kitchen/diner. Want to tile the kitchen floor area and apply wooden floor to the diner area. Existing kitchen area used to have some form of bonded vinyl tiles which now removed have left a bitumen type surface.
Existing diner area is original concrete/screed but is in poor condition in places. I'm assuming due to age of property there is no DPC under floor (although no signs of dampness in floor) but would like to use a self levelling product that will also act as a damproof membrane just to make sure. I also need something that can be used on both floor areas that would be suitable for the applicatrion of both tiles and wood flooring.
I've searched the net and can't find an all in one product :mad2: Most require area to be free of 'oils' so does this mean I need to somehow remove the bitumen surface left from the old tiles first ? Could I seal the whole area with a bitumen type sealer and blind it with sand then use a resin / cement based self levelling compound? Any views on best products for this?
Any help appreciated, only want to do the job once!

Thanks.

Send a pm to Alan, he will know for sure.

:thumbsup:

tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum - View Profile: Ajax123

Reaction score
I've done this before on a supermarket floor :thumbsup:

Mapei do a product that you roller on the concrete before tiling or self levelling and it acts as a DPM - I can't remember the name of it, but it was SUPER sticky:lol:

I'll look into it and get back to you:thumbsup:

Reaction score
OK.

I 'think' it was this primer that was recommended by Mapei and what we used:

Broken Link Removed

It was a very old concrete slab (approx 350m2) that we uplifted the vinyl tiles, scarified the surface to remove the vinyl adhesive then applied this product before tiling. The concrete did show evidence of dampness before we used this - but basically this product seals it in, so it cannot have a detrimental effect to the tiled floor.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tremco Universal one coat DPM followed by Tremco Unismooth levelling compound

Uzin used to do a smoothing compound which was also a DPM but I can't find it on the net at the moment. You could give them a ring on Monday. I am sure they still have it available. Their technical manager is a guy called Stewart Plant.

S

Spud

learning from previous posts on this subject there is a school of thought that with the older constructed buildings they actually need to be allowed to breath and by placing a dpm on the floor you will actually increase the amount of moisture rising up into the walls, creating a dpm on the floor may not be the best answer unless suitable damp proofing is also included into the superstructure of the building,I would very much be thinking of a breathable tiling solution utilising natural materials such as limestone or terracotta which were in keeping with the fabric of the original build rather than using a modern solution that may not be compatible to the original building hope this helps Gary

Reply to Concrete floor prep help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen