Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss big scratch removal - how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

frogeye

Hi folks

can anyone recommend an easy method of removing a nasty surface scratch to a couple of tiles. I was just raking out a bit of grout with one of those grout removal tools, when I slipped and put a 12" curved black scratch over 2 cream tiles - I can't be the only one who has done it?

Without going out and spending a fortune on some polishing paste can anyone suggest how I make good?

I did make some progress by using grout on a cloth which acted as a fine paste but it is hard going. Vim any good? Any hints gratefully received. What did you do?

frogeye (more suited to gardening now)

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you could try a bath rubber, but got a sneaky feeling you are gonna have to replace the tiles ..

F

frogeye

Cheers Andy

not the news I was hoping for but as a last resort I will bear it in mind.
I was grouting a small area in my kitchen when I wondered if the grout paste would have an effect. It did remove some of the line - it's more like a dotted line in places now - or was I just lucky.

As I said I can't be the first or only person to make this blunder.

frogeye

D

DHTiling

Try some vim ( or wot ever its called now ) and furniture polish mixed.....if they are a matt finish then you might have just knacked them but worth a go......

F

frogeye

Ahh T cut - never thought of that. I think my trusty AH frogeye can spare me some.

I will try all suggestions but will get the trusty dremel out with a buffing pad on it. Consider myself the test dummy for tile scratch removal, I will report back my in depth findings. Luckily it's under the sink so I shouldn't cause too much damage
That is definitely the last time I use one of those plasplug grout removal tools. It just skipped over the grout marking the tiles - left the grout unmarked. Dremel plus cutting disc in future.

frogeye (ex tiler)

S

sibs

I wonder if nano scrub would work.... kev from tilinglogistics might have a majic remedy :grin:

F

frogeye

nano scrub and a bath rubber - what are they?
Am I really the first person to do this? :yes: (surely not)

frogeye

S

sibs

nano scrub and a bath rubber - what are they?
Am I really the first person to do this? :yes: (surely not)

frogeye

Nano scrub is a product made by aqua mix its a deep cleaner... has a reputation for getting stuff off tiles where most other products fail. Never used it but have heard anacdotal evidence and also seen before and after photos. Tilinglogistics will know if its likely to work. Its between £10-15 for a bottle (I think 750mm)

D

DHTiling

I would try the t-cut first before trying these expensive products from aquamix....plus there are better and cheaper products about as well.......

F

frogeye

Cheers peeps

I will be trying the vim or what ever my mom has in her cupboard - barkeepers friend or something - I told her I was the bar keepers friend - t cut next. I will report back my findings as promised - will try a before and after photo if I remember - cos I know this site loves photos!

frogeye - serial tile slasher

S

sibs

I would try the t-cut first before trying these expensive products from aquamix....plus there are better and cheaper products about as well.......

Fair comment Dave..... just thought I'd throw it into the mix.... it may help frogeye to have a few options up his sleeve before he resorts to taking the tiles up. :thumbsup: good luck frogeye hope you sort it without too much expense and will look fwd to yous experimental findings :lol:

M

mojoammo

No Frogeye, you are not the first, nor to be the last to suffer the injustices of the grout removal tool. If the glaze is damaged the you are screwed and the tilies come out. But this sounds like a mark left from the steel edge of the tool. I use a paint restorer, similar to t-cut, on a soft cloth. Can be tight going but it'll shift the mark if you persist.
Last week laying polished porcelain, before leaving the job I marked the tiles which were yet to set with my red pencil. Next day it took over an hour to wipe the marks off (or rather out off) the tiles, using the restorer and grout dust as a grinding compound. This illustrates the actual porousity of polished porcelain and the need for sealers and stain guards

T

TilingLogistics

Frogeye you are obviously talking about ceramic tiles here I assume? If so the only perfect way is to replace the tiles. However if you want to try and hide the scratches i would try to buy a box of Jumbo wax crayons and choose the colour closest. Another method is quite often you can buy multicoloured bars of soap in £ shops and get a colour close to the tile and rub it in to the scratches to hide it:thumbsup:

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

Nano scrub is a product made by aqua mix its a deep cleaner... has a reputation for getting stuff off tiles where most other products fail. Never used it but have heard anacdotal evidence and also seen before and after photos. Tilinglogistics will know if its likely to work. Its between £10-15 for a bottle (I think 750mm)

Sorry Sibs even Nano Scrub technology will not work in this situation. Nice thought though

Kev

Reply to big scratch removal - how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks