Search the forum,

Discuss big scratch removal - how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

frogeye

Cheers peeps

I will be trying the vim or what ever my mom has in her cupboard - barkeepers friend or something - I told her I was the bar keepers friend - t cut next. I will report back my findings as promised - will try a before and after photo if I remember - cos I know this site loves photos!

frogeye - serial tile slasher

S

sibs

I would try the t-cut first before trying these expensive products from aquamix....plus there are better and cheaper products about as well.......

Fair comment Dave..... just thought I'd throw it into the mix.... it may help frogeye to have a few options up his sleeve before he resorts to taking the tiles up. :thumbsup: good luck frogeye hope you sort it without too much expense and will look fwd to yous experimental findings :lol:

M

mojoammo

No Frogeye, you are not the first, nor to be the last to suffer the injustices of the grout removal tool. If the glaze is damaged the you are screwed and the tilies come out. But this sounds like a mark left from the steel edge of the tool. I use a paint restorer, similar to t-cut, on a soft cloth. Can be tight going but it'll shift the mark if you persist.
Last week laying polished porcelain, before leaving the job I marked the tiles which were yet to set with my red pencil. Next day it took over an hour to wipe the marks off (or rather out off) the tiles, using the restorer and grout dust as a grinding compound. This illustrates the actual porousity of polished porcelain and the need for sealers and stain guards

T

TilingLogistics

Frogeye you are obviously talking about ceramic tiles here I assume? If so the only perfect way is to replace the tiles. However if you want to try and hide the scratches i would try to buy a box of Jumbo wax crayons and choose the colour closest. Another method is quite often you can buy multicoloured bars of soap in £ shops and get a colour close to the tile and rub it in to the scratches to hide it:thumbsup:

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

Nano scrub is a product made by aqua mix its a deep cleaner... has a reputation for getting stuff off tiles where most other products fail. Never used it but have heard anacdotal evidence and also seen before and after photos. Tilinglogistics will know if its likely to work. Its between £10-15 for a bottle (I think 750mm)

Sorry Sibs even Nano Scrub technology will not work in this situation. Nice thought though

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

I would try the t-cut first before trying these expensive products from aquamix....plus there are better and cheaper products about as well.......

Dave,

Can you let me know what they are or PM me if you are not allowed to say as I don't want to keep wasting my money on Aquamix if there are better things out there because i spend about £400 a month on the stuff Thanks

Kev

W

wetdec

If you are on about a metal mark rather than an actual scratch then T-cut and wire wool m8

tiler

F

frogeye

Hi tiler

yes you are right - it was a metal mark from slipping with a grout removal tool. So if I confused anyone with the 'scratch' description then sorry about that. It looked like a big scratch to me.

I had tried wire wool on an old tile and the results were disasterous - an even bigger mess.

As promised I tried as many ways of removing my 'scratch' as cheap as possible. Tried bath cleaner, toothpaste and t cut and car polish

The clear winner, beings none of the others appeared to work was by using a product I bought for cleaning the chrome bits on my frogeye. Similar to solvol autosol - I used 'Peek' - it says it cleans, polishes protects all metals, fibreglass and ceramics.

I used my dremel with a small buffer pad soaked in Peek set to a medium speed and after about 10 mins half the job is done. Well impressed.

Hope this info helps

frogeye

Reply to big scratch removal - how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen