Search the forum,

Discuss bathroom sub-floor - is 18mm enough? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rhinatron

Hi all,

I've asked a question about this before, but thought I'd start a new thread to keep it cleaner (thanks to all who responded before)

we're laying a new bathroom upstairs, and I wanted to know what thoughts were one thickness of ply?

it's going direct on joists (450 centres) and will have a few rows of noggins across floor. We're fitting mosiac tiles on the whole floor with flexible adhesive.

I've heard 18mm wbp willgive too much movement, but is this the case with a mosaic tile? If we're supporting the joints with noggins will that negate the need for 22/25mm?

thanks in advance!

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's all down to deflection. If the floor is rigid then I would put noggins at 300 centres. How are you planning on decoupling the tile and timber?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above it’s all down to deflection, 18mm ply with noggins and a 450mm. Centered joist , should be adequate, if in doubt use 22mm ply, or 25 mm if you must.

O

Old Mod

If you have the budget, forget the 18mm ply and use 19mm hardifloor, it’s as solid as it gets.
It’s structural flooring, and worth the investment.

Reply to bathroom sub-floor - is 18mm enough? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve got an old Victoria house with 20mm first floor floorboards. They’re in quite good...
Replies
Views
I'm refitting our bathroom which is about 3m sq and am putting in a wetroom shower in the corner...
Replies
Views
Hello all, After years of abuse, the bathroom needed an overhaul from top to bottom. Out...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen