Search the forum,

Discuss Bath Panel tiled in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Please help

Have had a bath panel tiled and the grout has cracked and the tiles are falling off. The plumber used a 0.5 mm ply board , not aquapanel. The tilers have tiled on this using flexi grout but the tiles are still falling off. Can anyone assist as to why this may be happening ??
Many Thanks

C

CDS

I suspect that there is far too much flex in the bath panel - 5mm is not rigid enough even if the frame behind it is pretty sturdy. Chances are that the wrong adhesive has been used too but this is irrelevent if the substrate isn;t good enough. I wouldn't use less that 12mm ply, ideally 18mm or backerboard. But it needs to be securely attached to a decent frame or you may have the same issues again.

D

david campbell

agree with cds here there will be far too much movement in the panel,i would use 18mm ply or hardiebacker with a stud behind to make sure it is totally rigid!

honza1

TF
Reaction score
PJC? are u a sales man or what?
min 12 mm ply with 1x2" solid frame and it can be even separated in 2 peaces to make one removable for emergency.

Who ever did that job did not know what he is doing.

P

Perry

No i am not a sales man i have been tiling top end of the market for 27 years also had a bathroom shop in Beaconsfied for a number years .Ply is water sensitive and equal laminates tile one side and its wants to pull, backer board or i use plasterboard much better and have you ever tiled an access panel made of ply ? and see what happens :pete

Last edited by a moderator:

honza1

TF
Reaction score
I am not sure what you are saying.
Plasterboard as bath panel and tile it? I am in the trade 7 years and never came across it. I do not dis yourexperties OK?

I usualy make a frame using 1x2 (uprignhts about 30 cm apart) an make sure its firm and firmly fixed. Than cut the ply(12mm) for the panel. Than I usualy split it in 2pieces.
1st is acces panel - usualy 2 parts of frame so about 60cm wide and is attached with screws with caps on top of the tiles.
2nd is fixed prmanently with screws under tiles.

When this is sealed all around with silicone there is no way water will everget to it so I dont undrstand why you warry about that.

I have done it many times before and itj ust work .customers are happy.

Is there something I dont understand or what?

Reply to Bath Panel tiled in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen