Discuss Base for tiles pathway & tile/adhesive thickness in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am going to be laying a new path to my front door outside, that I would like to finish with the traditional Victorian checkerboard tiles.

For the base, I was planning on 100mm concrete poured over 50mm Type 1. The path will have a fall of 1:60 to match the patio.

My main question is, will I be able to get this concrete smooth enough to successfully lay mosaic tiles (7mm thick) on it, or do I need to allow for a screed? I have laid concrete footings for brick walls before, which obviously did not require such a smooth finish. I am happy to add wire mesh to reinforce.

As I would like the path flush with the paving that will go alongside, how much depth should I allow for tiles + adhesive? what is the standard adhesive depth for a mosaic tile?

Many thanks,

Edward

EDIT 1 : A friend in the building trade has suggested 100mm compacted type 1, with a cement screed laid over the top, skip the concrete. He suggested reinforcing fibres in the screed mix. This should be easier to get smooth, but to my mind will be much weaker than the concrete. Any advice taken gratefully. Thanks

Last edited:

Reply to Base for tiles pathway & tile/adhesive thickness in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks