Discuss Another career change thread don't hate me please in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

glen79

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm really sorry to bore Many of you. I didn't want to hijack another post.
I'm 42 good health and done a few things in my life mostly physical jobs.
I really would like to work for myself but struggling to find any positive feedback. My ideas were
Either plasterer, door hanger, tiler
General handy man.
I have a little experience in fencing and done a few tiling jobs on my own house.
Regarding plastering many have said it will take too long to develop the skills at 42.
I fancy taking a course in tiling but I'm wondering:
Is the work out there for someone of my age to train and get work? Initially I appreciate it would be taking my longer and so I would be earning less.
I just don't want to spend on a course then find out there's no work.
Is it mostly a self employed job or could I get a job working for someone to gain experience?

Again thanks for any gelp

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
Where to start 😂
I was probably around your age when I chose to quit my corporate job and become a self employed tiler. I was fortunate to have a financial safety net for 6 months and always said that I would go back to corporate if we were unable to, at least, maintain the current standard of living.
You are correct that the lack of speed will inhibit your earnings initially but that will soon come when you are doing it every day.
I can’t speak for your geographical area but in and around Cambridgeshire work seems to be consistently busy and I have had at least one other tiler working for me full time for the last 8 years just to try and keep on top of things.
It may be worth contacting a few tilers that are local to you and asking their views (most will be honest with you and happy to chat) and even pop into local tile shops and ask them how business is?

I hope that helps and good luck with your potential new career choice.

glen79

-
Reaction score
Where to start 😂
I was probably around your age when I chose to quit my corporate job and become a self employed tiler. I was fortunate to have a financial safety net for 6 months and always said that I would go back to corporate if we were unable to, at least, maintain the current standard of living.
You are correct that the lack of speed will inhibit your earnings initially but that will soon come when you are doing it every day.
I can’t speak for your geographical area but in and around Cambridgeshire work seems to be consistently busy and I have had at least one other tiler working for me full time for the last 8 years just to try and keep on top of things.
It may be worth contacting a few tilers that are local to you and asking their views (most will be honest with you and happy to chat) and even pop into local tile shops and ask them how business is?

I hope that helps and good luck with your potential new career choice.
Thanks for your reply. I'll make some contacts that's a good idea. I'm in Manchester so quite a busy area.
Initially I can keep my evening job as I don't start till around 4 till 12 pm most evenings. So easily can do a few days in the week.

Reply to Another career change thread don't hate me please in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks