Discuss Advice on adhesive & priming required please! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Z

zx6red

Hello all, been lurking for a while trying to pick up tips & info before I tile my bathroom but need some definative answers if you would!
The walls are a combination of Aquapanel (on the areas that will get wet i.e. shower cubicle & around bath), plaster board on the internal studded walls & plaster on the solid walls, the Aquapanel & plaster board are new, plastered walls have had tiles removed but in good order.
Tiles are ceramic 330 x 250mm
Now for the questions!!
Do I need to prime any or all of the walls if I use a bagged powder adhesive?
Do I really need to use a bagged adhesive or is a good quality tubbed adhesive acceptable?
Always used tubbed in the past & never had any problems but these tiles are larger than ones I've used previously, the main thing putting me off bagged is the relatively short pot life (2 hours with the Weber stuff I can get at a good price!!).
Great forum & hope you can put me right with my questions.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi mate ,only the plastered walls will need priming and defo use bagged addy -specially in wet areas. You only need to mix as much as you can use.(get yourself a litre measuring jug to help) weber is good gear .hope this info helps

I

Ian

I'd prime your plastered walls but, not necessary on the aquapanel or plasterboard, just give them a wipe with a damp cloth to get any dust off. Use a slow setting powdered adhesive there are plenty available and you will get about 8m2 from a 20kg bag as opposed to 5m2 from a tub (based on a 6mm trowel).

Z

zx6red

Thanks, looks like powdered it is then, was going to use Mapei as the pot life was about 6 hours if I remember correctly, but the Weber is less than half the price. Will a 6mm trowel be ok? I was thinking of going with an 8mm?

I

Ian

If your walls are nice and flat use a 6, if they have a few ins and outs then use an 8.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

D

doug boardley

deffo prime the plastered walls and use bagged addy in the wet areas. With 330 x 250 you'll be pushing dispersion (tubbed addy) to it's limits, so maybe best starting in the wet area with cement based and see how you go.

Y

young1066

if its a ceramic tile tubbed adhesive is fine,use either bal /granfix/ultra,they do ones for high humidity areas,pva the plaster and board not the aqua panel.use a good flexable grout with anti mould,and you wont have any problems,leave grouting till the next day the adhesive will take a little longer to dry on the aqua panel,if you were fixing porcelain tiles then it would have to be bagged flexi adhesive,

S

SJPurdy

After what I've read elsewhere, definately won't be using pva!!!
Use primer suitable for separating cement based adhesive from plaster to stop the two reacting together and causing bond failure. Use the brand the same as the adhesive you are going to use. Use on the plaster board as well as the plaster. If Weber is the brand you can source at the best price then they do it in slow set versions as well as the fast (2 hour) set - i would always use slow set on walls unless i specifically needed fast setting. With the size of tile you are using back butter the tiles in addition to applying the adhesive to the walls with a notched trowel.
Steve

Reply to Advice on adhesive & priming required please! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks