Discuss Advice on a previous poor job. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I've tried putting someone else's **** up right before and it's a nightmare! I wont even go near anything like that now, unless its agreed that a full rip out and re-fit happens. It's just not worth the hassle and it's also not proffesional, tiling onto something when you don't know what's underneath.

Tubbed adhesive is ok for metros on kitchen splashbacks and that's about it. Also, tiling over tile particularly on walls is a bad idea as most likely the substrate will not hold the weight of the tiles. Always best to strip things back in my opinion so you can see what's underneath and can try to ensure you are taking the correct approach.

I think the advice you've had already above is good. If you've only been going a few weeks (i've only been going a couple of years), I would suggest starting off with small, simple jobs, researching all you can and taking on more complex stuff as and when you feel you can. I did a couple of complicated jobs far too early on and the stress it caused just wasn't worth it! Be confident enough to say to the client that you need to go away and double check the best approach to their particular job as you want to make sure everything is perfect. Then come away, do your research and go back to them with a proper plan of action and an accurate quote. People will only see that as professional and you'll probably win more work, but also, you will be happy you are doing the right thing.

Reaction score
If I could offer a little advice and its only because Ive been doing this for years is, get out of the habit of using tubbed adhesive. For anything. It might seem easier to do so but in the long term its just *****. Because I haven't used tubbed adhesive for years means Im always set up right to do the job. Buckets, mixer, etc,etc. Also, top tip. Never ever use grey powder adhesive. It just gets everything filthy. And the white stuff is only a pound dearer anyway. Good luck.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Agree apart from never use grey adhesive. If your going to be using a dark grout then don’t use white adhesive.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
:)
I generally buy the Palace stuff from Topps, and the grey mixes up completely different to the white. They grey just seems to mix up stiffer, so thats my go to. If using light tiles and light grout then ill use a white addy. Generally Biogel.

I brought a pallet of the Topps stuff (grey) and it worked out at £9 per bag.

Reply to Advice on a previous poor job. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks