Discuss Advice in triming doors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

quackfly

Hey i was wondering which is the correct power tool for triming the bottom of a door is assuming it needed a substantial piece off. would a jigsaw manage the job or would a circular saw be better?would a circular saw leave a very rough cut?

D

dhsanta65

Yea hand saw for me to, time you get power tool set up with extension lead no doubt you could have it cut with a hand saw.

G

gm140

Fine toothed handsaw 13-15tpi, perfect everytime no rough edge:thumbsup:

Graeme
ETL Pro Tiling

C

Colour Republic

Take your pick.. in order of preferance

Plunge Saw (with guide rail)
Rip Saw (with 40t blade)
Hand Saw
Electric Plane
Jigsaw
Fein
Gnasher (From Dennis the Menace)

A

Aston

hi mate,

id just use a fine toothed hand saw as mentioned above and finish off with a plane near the pencile line to give it a nice smooth finish...

tip: remember when you are using a plane to start at either end and work inwards because you can split the end of the door if you work to the end of the door when planing

ed.

B

brian c

sharp handsaw for me too.:thumbsup:Takes a bit longer.

I also use a snouter(rip saw) and give the sharp edges a rub with sand paper.

M

mikethetile

invest in a door trimmer

saves cutting around architrave too

just whip 8mm of the bottom and slip your tile underneath

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hand saw then electric planer for me.

F

faithhealer

Went to an unrelated job last week and the customer asked if I could ease the door as it was catching on his newly fitted carpet. A bit of sandpaper might do it he said!!!
One handsaw, ten minutes and 5mm later, perfect. Lazy carpet fitters!

Reply to Advice in triming doors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks